LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

New design for LetsSingIt!

Follow 23
Add topic
Search
Ray
Ray | 14-05-2015 14:10
I bet you had to look twice or maybe you're still figuring out what is going on, LetsSingIt has a new design! The "old" layout was 8 years old and in internet land, this is more than a lifetime. It was built back in 2007-2008 when Facebook was still unknown, Twitter did not exist yet, Nokia ruled the cell phone market and cell phones could only be used to call, .... ok, and to play Snake.

Mobile

How different is that today, "phones" is not the right word anymore, it's "mobile devices" since they come in all sizes and options and can do a zillion things more than playing Snake. But they have all one thing in common, you can use them to access the internet. The number of mobile users in the world is still growing extremely fast. So it's more important than ever before to have a mobile friendly website, which means that the website is also perfectly viewable on the smaller screens of the mobile devices. Today, 60% of LetsSingIt's visitors use a mobile device to access our site, and that's even with the old layout that didn't scale well on mobile devices. So time for a mobile friendly website!

What is new

Curious to what's new? It's too much too mention it all, so here are the highlights.

Responsive
This new LetsSingIt layout is now mobile friendly, the site optimizes it's presentation based on the device used to access LetsSingIt. This so called "responsive" design, makes LetsSingIt easy to access no matter how large or small you device is. You're one of these 40% desktop viewers? ... then grab your phone ...eh, "mobile device" for a demonstration!

Faster loading
The latest techniques on board to serve pages light and ultra-fast.

More info with less clicking
With the use of the large menu and "load more" buttons, more information is loaded in a split second without having to leave the page.

New comment system
Adding pictures, topics and comments is now done and a new form. Use the popped-out (or "detached") version for extra options, or use the small "submit-on-enter" form for quick comments. Want to use Facebook to comment? Also possible now, Facebook has been integrated with LetsSingIt.

Profile picture
Artist profile pictures are now supersized and can be edited by moderators now. Members can now also add their profile picture.

Song/album info
I got this question many times, where to put extra song or album information, because there is no field for that. Well, now there is. This option is currently only available for moderators (at the song-edit form).

Minor things that make you LSI life easier
- preview option at sending messages
- quick filter on long songs and albums pages of artists
- likes count added to hall-of-fame
- active topics can also be viewed by last comments
- everybody can edit their comments up to 15 minutes after saving

Bug Report

Found something that is not working in the way it should? Please let me know in the Support section of the forum.

Comments, tips or suggestions about the new layout, let me know!

Enjoy!
Ray

* offtopic :
Thanks to my wife Aisha for not only helping building this new layout, but also for the support on this biggest project in LetsSingIt history. This project has been quite a rollercoaster, but the result is there!
1 to 25 of 130 comments
page 1 of 6
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 14-05-2015 14:39
What about the VIP system? Will I reach the elite status at the end of the month?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 14-05-2015 14:47
It's gonna take some time to get used to but it will do. It looks amazing!
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 14-05-2015 14:48
Hit enter... Whoops. Congrats to the both of you for creating such a successful website and making it stand out even more!
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 14-05-2015 14:49
Song/album info
I got this question many times, where to put extra song or album information, because there is no field for that. Well, now there is. This option is currently only available for moderators (at the song-edit form).

Is it available for super artists mods too? I don't know. I think so.

Ah, was it because I used to put any information in the album comments? I didn't ask you this question, Ray. I knew there was no section for that, since I've been putting some info from June 27, last year. So what can I do with all the comments I've previously posted? Leave them alone?
Ray
Ray | 14-05-2015 14:51
I'll convert all song and album info comments for you Céline.
Rubbo81
Rubbo81 | 14-05-2015 14:54
Wow it will take a while to get use, but the first impact is good (although initially I was a bitshocked)

Nice Work Ray
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 14-05-2015 14:55
Gonna accept that. But how much for that?

Just can't understand because all the comments I've put from June 27, last year are mostly album info. So from now on, this function will be useful for me.

But I've just woken up and every time I hit "enter"...
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-05-2015 15:24
Definitely confusing at first when you're so used to going to certain areas. And it is reeeeally slow on my iPad. It's not my internet, because I'm on another site and it's fine.
Rubbo81
Rubbo81 | 14-05-2015 15:24
It seems that the tag didn't work.

I found a song but when I click it return on the tag menu instead of going on the comment
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-05-2015 15:25
Ok, I wasn't done typing, but apparently it thought I was. Guess we can't do paragraphs. But it's very sleek looking and I can't wait to explore.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 14-05-2015 15:31
Anyway, I like this "album/song info" function very much. Going to use it a lot!
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-05-2015 15:50
I love the arrow that bounces me back to the top! Don't know if that's just mobile or what. But very useful for long forum pages.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 14-05-2015 16:05
Aaah, everything's different. I think it looks good though. It will just take some getting used to. Time to go explore!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 14-05-2015 16:10
Congrats, Ray. You did it! And faster than expected. *Looks for things to complain about*
Joeyy
Joeyy | 14-05-2015 16:13
Sierra, you can still insert paragraphs. Do you have that long...arrow key on your iThing, or an equivalent? You hold it down and then hit enter. :]
Joeyy
Joeyy | 14-05-2015 16:16
Since there's no longer a visible notifications or messages icon, what happens to alert us to those?
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-05-2015 16:18
No. No such arrow on here. I see the purpose of it to make it as fast and simple as possible to post on mobile. I'll live, I don't post to awful much these days.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-05-2015 16:19
I also like the album info section. I think it should be below the tracklist though.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 14-05-2015 16:19
A little symbol (bell, I think) appears next to your name at the top if there's a notification. On computers. I don't know about mobile devices.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 14-05-2015 17:57
What about the VIP system?

Oh, wait a minute. I'm sure I'll get silver at the beginning of the month and elite at the end, that's all. There would be no need to be updated daily again, I'm already tired of consulting my VIP base points every day. Updated once a month sounded much better and there wouldn't be a second anniversary of the new VIP system anymore.

Let me sacrifice myself to correct all the album infos ('cause I do a lot with linking albums and artists in it). It'll take me all night.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 14-05-2015 18:07
Absolutely fantastic work Ray!!

Gefeliciteerd!

Congratulations on a well thought out, planned and executed retrofitting of LSI for the next 8 plus years!

Love the ability to edit 15 minutes after posting! That is what I missed so much here....now everyone can monitor their own words and repair mistakes easily without bothering a moderator to take time out to do it.

I like your new eye catching/popping graphics! Congratulations to your web/graphics designer for the enhanced banner designs and shadow boxes on our avatars (and you didn't think anyone would notice?) Old web designer here...

As you mentioned in the opening line to this thread, its now running very smoothly and nimbly! Also, I like the quick reply has submit on "enter" key like so many other places do today. Lets us all keep up with faster pace of posting now!

Thank you again to you and your team, your wife Aisha, for a job excellently well done!
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 14-05-2015 18:12
I'm not using an iphone. I'm sitting at my portable comp and... Wearing glasses because I get lost easily, even by editing artists/song links manually.

Well, the previous VIP system was about to be put back. Frustrating. So I'm waiting for that case to be closed in 15 days.

But what can I do with the "album/song info"? It should be kept in a fixed place. It is very useful and I don't want my album comments to be removed... If such useful things in the "album/song info" are deleted, I'll complain more and more.
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 14-05-2015 18:25
Seems cool at first glance. Glad to see mobile users get some changes since I'm usually mobile. the good news is that I don't care enough to persistently bitch about website flaws anymore. Cheers
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 14-05-2015 18:32
I notice there is no way to tell which songs have lyrics and which don't by simply looking at the tracklist. This will be an issue for me, someone who adds a lot of material.
JDolla
JDolla | 14-05-2015 19:01
I'm kinda let down curt, i was waiting for you to come in here and blast the changes for old time's sake.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: