LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

LetsSingIt Madness: Cute Animals Edition (FINISHED)

Follow 2
Add topic
Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-05-2015 02:58
Trying my hand at the LSI Madness game with an edition involving some of our planet's cutest animals. Hope you like it. Each round will be up for at least a few days to give members time to vote; there'll be 64 creatures in total for you to whittle down to one: the cutest by majority vote.

There aren't really any rules other than the website's usual, but I do ask that you click the links to check out each of the images. Hopefully there will be a few creatures you were previously unfamiliar with.

N.B. There are a boatload of adorable puppy, kitten, rabbit, etc. pics out there, and pretty much every baby/young animal is cute - thus, I've gone with less obvious choices, the images of which should be adults.

I also opted for photos where the creatures are in a natural habitat; are alone; and in which most or all of their body is showing. Hence, the linked images might not be the cutest of each animal, but they're "fair".

Get ready to make some tough choices, folks.

------------

WINNER: Ermines
Runner-up: Fennec foxes
76 to 100 of 244 comments
page 4 of 10
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 06-05-2015 23:57
No that's okay, it's already submitted in. Appreciate that though.
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 07-05-2015 00:21
Common Seal
Coatimundi
Eurasian pygmy owl
Fat-tailed Dunnart
Little Blue Penguin (they're both so cute though!!)
Quokka
Ermine
Tree Frog
Joeyy
Joeyy | 07-05-2015 00:26
I thought out of everyone you'd be sure to vote for the arctic fox (just because you commented on a picture in one of the quizzes one time - I think that was you anyway :p).
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 07-05-2015 00:29
Those are probably the two cutest animals up there (with the ermine a close third). It was a touch choice, but look at that penguin!!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 07-05-2015 02:53
You're right Sarah! I missed knowing that penguins come in blue style as well as the basic black/white Tuxedo edition!

F.Y.I.

Pufferfish are generally believed to be the second-most poisonous vertebrates in the world, after the golden poison frog. Certain internal organs, such as liver, and sometimes the skin, contain tetrodotoxin and are highly toxic to most animals when eaten; nevertheless, the meat of some species is considered a delicacy in Japan (as 河豚, pronounced as fugu), Korea (as 복 bok or 복어 bogeo ), and China (as 河豚 hétún) when prepared by specially trained chefs who know which part is safe to eat and in what quantity

You got to eat it to die---I meant that naturally poisonous creatures are those who can harm humans by some defense mechanism like fangs of cobra/snakes or stinger/barb of sting ray who killed famous conservationist, Steve Irwin of Australia Zoo & Web/TV shows.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 07-05-2015 03:11
I know that information, but all you said "first poisonous".

My 'World's Weirdest Animals' book (title's possibly slightly different) says the slow loris is the world's most venomous mammal, so no, I still don't think the stingray is the first.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 07-05-2015 03:40
Sorry to take up space here with this.....

But I agree with the following two commenters (who did provide many scientific references) about the slow loris...so I've never considered them in the same class of poisonous as other creatures be they mammal or reptile (of course the Duck-Billed Platypus (inbetween mammals/reptiles) has a spur on the male complete with venom)

* offtopic :
(compresses the type to save space)
meryl • 8 months ago
This headline and information about a Loris is a bit of an exaggeration. "Female lorises practice infant parking, leaving their young infants behind in nests. Before they do this they bathe their young with allergenic saliva that is acquired by licking patches on the insides of their elbows that produce a mild toxin that discourages most predators..." (wikipedia) & "The brachial gland produces exudate with an allergen that is similar to the Fel d 1 cat allergen (Hagey et al., 2006; Krane et al., 2003). This brachial gland exudate shares a high degree of similarity in sequence, as well as unusual disulfide-bridged heterodimeric structure similar with Fel d 1. Fel d 1 is an allergen found mostly in saliva and the sebaceous glands (glands found inside the skin) of domestic cats, Felis catus. Humans with a cat allergy are allergic to five known allergen produced by domestic cats, Fel d 1 being one of them. "
(http://primatology.net/2010/10...

Please, don't post things that are so distorted! It makes the truth hard to realize and instigates negative ideas about all sorts of things!

Chris Pacino • 8 months ago
So are slow lorises venomous or poisonous?
To answer this, let's revisit the definitions of venomous and poisonous. A venomous animal injects toxins into its victim's body by bite or sting. A poisonous animal, on the other hand, produces toxins that are poisonous once inhaled or ingested. Medical literature shows that human – slow loris injuries come from slow loris bites and not from ingesting their toxins. So are slow lorises venomous? Well, not quite.

Slow lorises have needle-like teeth called dental combs or tooth combs on their lower jaw. Paired with the constant licking of the brachial gland, it is not surprising that one would assume the dental comb plays a part in injecting brachial gland exudate into unsuspecting victims (Hagey et al., 2006). However, this is not the case.

Used for grooming, dental combs might look menacing to some but their function is less sinister than one might conjure up. A bite from a slow loris is painful due to their sharp pointed teeth. Illustration of slow loris teeth from Loris Conservation. The dental comb is on the lower jaw, shape like a spade.

Wilde (1972) reports that the victim of a slow loris bite immediately succumbs to anaphylactic shock (extreme allergic reaction) followed by hematuria. In spite of that, the victim fully recovered. There is no clinical evidence of toxic substances in slow loris saliva to support the notion that they are venomous (Wilde, 1972).

Another incident involves a 34 year-old woman who is 19 weeks pregnant. She was bitten by a pygmy slow loris at the zoo she works in. The patient only complained about an acute pain at the location where she was bitten. She did not go into anaphylactic shock (Kalimullah et al., 2008).

Slow loris bite. Photo by Helena Fitch-Snyder from Loris Conservation.

Reports of slow loris bites are rare in literature. However, based on these published reports, it seems that slow loris bites are not venomous (Kalimullah et al., 2008; Wilde, 1972). Due to the high degree of similarity between the brachial gland exudate of slow lorises and the Fel d 1 allergen in domestic cats, the anaphylactic shock expressed by victims is probably just a reaction to the exudate's allergen.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 07-05-2015 03:53
I was curious....as you've mentioned it before and I wanted to read more...

Is this the book Joey? Matt Roper being of the Daily Mirror means its a UK sold book.
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 07-05-2015 04:38
Sloth
Mountain goat
Beaver
Pufferfish
Arctic fox
Quokka
Ermine
Tree frog
saina
saina | 07-05-2015 15:16
I know koalas look like teddy bears, but I don't know...something feels a bit off about them. They look almost evil to me.

It's their claws and teeth, I believe.

Woah! 'Beautiful eyes' Loris can be dangerous too. Everyday I learn something new.
saina
saina | 07-05-2015 16:33
Fruit-bat . . (Tree toad is a colorful, bright, eye catching organism. But I find bats cute.)

Ermine . . (Here's an exception to my rule: Saina likes squirrel. That stoat is so bloody cute, I want one for myself.)

Quokka . . (Yeah, stingrays look beautiful in blue water, against white sand but they don't look cute to me.)

Foxy . . ( )

Dunnart . . (It's cuter than pufferfish.)

Owl . . (I'd like to call this a Harry Potter effect. BTW, who else thought of Mr. Beaver of Narnia after seeing beaver's pic?)

Coatimundi . . (This was a difficult one to decide. Very, very difficult. The reason for choosing coatimundi- I just chose it. Maybe it was its eyes. I don't know.)

Sloth . . (*sings* We're lazy-fellas!)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 07-05-2015 19:40
Practice, the sentences you've put in bold font there imply that slow lorises are not venomous. As another paragraph in that lengthy post points out, venomous is different from poisonous. To quote your quote

A venomous animal injects toxins into its victim's body by bite or sting. A poisonous animal, on the other hand, produces toxins that are poisonous once inhaled or ingested.

Your original point was that the stingray was the first poisonous creature on the list, but according to the information you posted, stingrays are actually venomous, not poisonous, because they inject their venom into their victims. So regardless of whether or not the slow loris is or isn't venomous, you were still wrong about the stringray and I right about the pufferfish. Once again, you said "first poisonous", not "venomous" (though no one corrected you).

As for the slow loris (that is indeed the book I was referring to, but I confused it with another of his books, 'World's Deadliest Animals' – I own both), it's true that there doesn't yet seem to be a definite answer on how harmful their bites can be to humans – that serious cases might be the result of an allergic reaction to their secretion, rather than the involvement of toxins – but this appears to still be disputed and, more importantly, recent reports show that their consumption of wild food can result in their saliva containing batrachotoxins – the same stuff found in poison dart frogs, the most poisonous creature alive on our lovely little planet.

Given the uncertainty and the possible batrachotoxins, I for one wouldn't chance a bite from a slow loris, but if you ever have the opportunity to do so and you're willing to believe the two people you quoted, be my guest.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 07-05-2015 19:42
Anyyywaaayy...

Sloth
Mountain goat
Eurasian pygmy owl
Fat-tailed Dunnart
Arctic fox
Quokka
Grey squirrel
Fruit bat

BTW, who else thought of Mr. Beaver of Narnia after seeing beaver's pic?

Haha, I have to say I did.

Tough round for me. Beavers are very cute, but owls... And I have a photo of my niece holding the most adorable little owl. The ermine (winter form of a stoat) is adorable, but I have mad squirrel love. :p
indiechick_
indiechick_ | 08-05-2015 14:46
Sloth (they look so easygoing)
Mountain goat (dat climb)
Eurasian pygmy owl (tough choice)
Pufferfish (the other one looks too much like a rat)
Arctic fox (foxes all the way)
Quokka (stingrays are scary!)
Ermine (looks like it's made of snow)
Tree frog (both are kinda ugly though)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 09-05-2015 00:40
One day left, then onto the final round of part one before your choices start squaring off.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 09-05-2015 00:41
I mean the final part of round one.

* offtopic :
Still can't edit.
fishmunky
fishmunky | 09-05-2015 01:48
Sloth
Mountain Goat
Eurasian pygmy owl fact, beavers are assholes
Pufferfish
Arctic Fox
Stingray (even if they did kill the crocodile hunter)
Ermine
Fruit Bat (even if they are just flying rats)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 09-05-2015 03:01
Rats are cute, B! That's a good point about beavers (and a great explanation for the euphemism). But still, look at that chubby, cheeky face.

* offtopic :
I have another card from this shop saved to one of my lists and tonight I noticed this flying dwarf squirrel card there...how evil and insincere does that "My sincerest apologies" flying dwarf squirrel look?!
CarlJ
CarlJ | 09-05-2015 11:54
Common seal
Mountain goat
Beaver
Fat-tailed Dunnart
Arctic fox
Quokka
Grey squirrel
Tree frog
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 09-05-2015 17:52
Sloth
Coatimundi
Eurasian pygmy owl
Fat-tailed Dunnart
Arctic fox
Quokka
Grey squirrel
Tree frog
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 09-05-2015 20:22
Sloth
Mountain goat
Eurasian pygmy owl
Fat-tailed Dunnart
Arctic fox
Stingray
Ermine (This thing, oh yes!)
Fruit bat (I love this little bat)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 09-05-2015 22:31
Results of Round 1, Part 3

Sloth (8) beats common seal (4)
Mountain goat (8) beats coatimundi (4)
Eurasian pygmy owl (10) beats beaver (2)
Fat-tailed Dunnart (7) beats pufferfish (5)
Arctic fox (11) beats Little Blue Penguin (1)
Quokka (10) beats stingray (2)
Ermine (9) grey squirrel (3)
Fruit bat (6) beats tree frog (6)

(Sticking to Kaleb's tradition: in the event of a tie, the first voter's vote is taken.)

* offtopic :
Can't use the comment button either, so no cute video.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 09-05-2015 22:35
*beats

POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: