en

Guess Who #10: Living Nightmare [Results!]

Follow 3
Add topic
Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-03-2015 23:16
The Rules

Participants will be given some type of subject from which to make a choice (favorite book, what you wanted to be when you grew up, etc) and will submit their choice to the host via PM by the submission deadline (see below).

The host will then post a list of all the submissions verbatim (along with the host's submission, plus one fake submission) in alphabetical order, and a list of the submitters in alphabetical order.

Participants will have until the second deadline to try to match the correct submitter with the correct submission and post their answers in this thread. Please remove your own name and answer from the list, along with whichever one you believe is fake. Other than the host, anyone is allowed to participate in this section of the game, regardless of whether or not they submitted a choice.

After the second deadline has passed, the host will post the correct answers, as well as the total number of correct guesses by each guesser. Obviously the winner is the person or people with the most correct guesses. The person or people with the fewest correct guesses will be forced to divide their savings between the winner and the host.

The Scenario

Imagine you find yourself living through a Horror, Thriller, or Slasher film – the worst one imaginable for you – and you're not an actor: for whatever reason, this is now your real life. Which film (of these genres) would you most hate to be in?

It has to be an existing film.

* offtopic :
I'm a big fan of the genres and it interests me to know which ones horrify people the most. Perhaps afterwards you could tell me why – maybe try to convince us why the one you chose would suck the most. :p

The Deadlines

Submissions in by Friday 3rd of April, 23:00* on the LSI clock
Guesses in by Wednesday 8th of April, 23:00* on the LSI clock

*19:00 (7pm) EST
*18:00 (6pm) CST
*17:00 (5pm) MST
*16:00 (4pm) PST
*00:00 4th/9th BST
1 to 25 of 85 comments
page 1 of 4
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-03-2015 23:18
Hopefully everyone's had a long enough break and is ready to play again.

I don't think we should have a problem with this being too similar to the worst fears ('Fear Factor') edition of the game, because I think only a few of the fears given there are the focus point of films of these genres, and because there are so many horrifying (at least if they were real) films to choose from.

If one doesn't immediately come to mind, my advice would be to think about the films you believe you'd most struggle to survive in...or just those that made you crap your pants (or would if you were living them).
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-03-2015 23:23
Let me know if I got any of the times wrong; I Googled current times, so hopefully not.
MastersaArmsFan
MastersaArmsFan | 30-03-2015 23:30
Looks like the times are correct to me!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-03-2015 23:40
Thanks.

The topic is one I've thought quite a bit about in the past; I've always remained undecided... Now I have to choose. :p
Joeyy
Joeyy | 31-03-2015 17:36
The people who have submitted a choice so far have all left a short comment about their choice, might it be good to include those if most people add one?

Edit: Idea scrapped.
indiechick_
indiechick_ | 02-04-2015 17:47
aw. why was it scrapped?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 02-04-2015 18:25
I don't know, a couple of people didn't give one (though I could always ask) and I was worried it might seem like changing the game or that people would think it could be a give-away.

One full day left to get your submissions in.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-04-2015 16:57
...OK, most people have sent a little explanation to add, so unless there are any objections, I'll scrap the scrapping and include those. :p

Probably not gonna get any more submissions, but you have six more hours if you've not submitted or if you wanna object to your reason/the reasons being posted.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-04-2015 23:01
Time's up. I'll post the info shortly.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-04-2015 23:24
The titles of the films will link you to the IMDb pages. The link randomly inserted into the explanations, which were provided "as is" by the submitters (thanks everyone), will take you to a trailer for each film. They were put there by me, so don't think that the link placement is significant in any way. Happy guessing!

The Submitters
CaptainKeeta
CarlJ
Cheater138
fishmunky
indiechick_
JDolla
Joeyy
Juliet86
kalsonberry
MastersaArmsFan
PinkFloyd
PracticePractic
Saina
+ Fake

The Submissions

127 Hours
I don't watch a lot of horror so I'm going to go with 127 Hours.

28 Days Later...
because damn those zombies meant business

Alien
Because you have to deal with something no one knows anything about and it wants to kill you. Plus, you're stuck in space.

Hostel
I hate the kinds of movies like that, which use things plausible in real life (taking a trip) and turn them into something bloody and torture-y.

I Spit On Your Grave (1978)
To live through being gang raped would be horrific. To turn from a hopeful young woman to a revenge filled victim would be catastrophic.

Jeepers Creepers
Every 23rd spring, for 23 days, it gets to eat.
Eat what?
Eat us.

Mirrors
The scene in which the sister rips open her own jaw while being possessed by the ghost. Yeah, that was a pretty classy scene.

Orphan
Orphan because orphans are creepy.

Phantasm series
Older..but really creeped me out when I first saw them. To be dead and buried, then dug up to be a sort of demon in another demension.... aaaaccck!

Saw V
All the 'Saw' films, really. Having to put yourself through torture to save your life or someone else's (so you can't just give up) would be truly horrible. And the fifth film has some of the worst parts.

The Descent
Being trapped in a dark cave away from civilization with seemingly no way out; nothing to communicate with; no one knows you're there...and there's a bunch of monsters trying to kill/eat you... Hell no.

The Devil's Rejects
Fat Guy usually goes within the first hour

The Grey
Seriously, fuck wolves

The Mist
Horror movies ask you to suspend "common sense" and say to yourself, well that's the story.. What I would consider as truly frightening is doing something totally ordinary i.e. going to your local convenience/drug store to shop for items. Stephen King has mastered this in many of his stories, but I'd pick "The Mist" with its movie (not book) ending to truly send shivers up and down your spine every time you do something totally ordinary
Joeyy
Joeyy | 03-04-2015 23:42
Oops, had the wrong links for one film (edit: two :p). Fixed.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 04-04-2015 04:55
I've seen all but one of the listed films. I can't say that watching the trailer for the one I haven't seen makes me want to sit through it, but maybe one day.

Anyhow, more for my own fun than for any other reason, I've collected their taglines and a couple of facts about how they compare (according to IMDb).

- The film on the list with the highest rating is Alien, with 8.5
- Three pairs of films have the same rating:
- 127 Hours and 28 Days Later, both have a rating of 7.6 (second highest of the listed films)
- The Descent and The Mist both have a rating of 7.2 (third highest of the listed films)
- Phantasm and The Devil's Rejects both have 6.9
- The film with the lowest rating is I Spit On Your Grave, with a 5.6 (the second lowest is Saw V with 5.8, closely followed by Hostel with 5.9)

The longest film there is The Mist: 126 minutes of people trying to avoid that misty...mist. It's closely followed by Orphan, which runs for 123 minutes. The Grey and Alien aren't far behind – both run for 117 minutes.
Phantasm runs for the shortest length of time: 88 minutes. Another two films have the same run-time: 127 Hours and Hostel run for 94 minutes.

The taglines for each (where there were several, I chose the one from the trailers), keeping in alphabetical order, are...

There is no force more powerful than the will to live (127 Hours)
The days are numbered (28 Days Later...)
In space, no one can hear you scream. (Alien)
Welcome to your worst nightmare (Hostel)
This woman has just cut, chopped, broken and burned five men beyond recognition* (I Spit On Your Grave)
What's eating you? (Jeepers Creepers)
There is evil...on the other side (Mirrors)
There's something wrong with Esther. (Orphan)
If this one doesn't scare you, you're already dead! (Phantasm)
You won't believe how it ends. (Saw V)
Claustrophobia. Disorientation. Hallucination. Fear. (The Descent)
A tale of murder, mayhem and revenge (The Devil's Rejects)
Live or die on this day (The Grey)
Fear changes everything (The Mist)

For me, the worst tagline there is Jeepers Creepers'. A few of them don't do the films justice, but its sounds more like something you'd have for a spoof film. I think 'Alien' has to have one of the better Horror movie taglines.

*Quoted trivia for I Spit On Your Grave's tagline: The poster's tagline mistakenly says, "This woman has just cut, chopped, broken and burned five men beyond recognition". There are only four men she gets revenge on and she does not burn any of them. In the remake 'I Spit on Your Grave', a fifth man is added.

^ Had the person who made the poster even seen the film?

I'm itching to watch some of these now.
saina
saina | 04-04-2015 08:51
Yay! Now I have a new i-want-to-watch-movie list.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 05-04-2015 00:10
Deep breath.... the smell of fear.... first one posting....

127 Hours - Juliet86
28 Days Later - PinkFloyd
Alien- Cheater138
Hostel - Saina
I Spit On Your Grave (1978) - indiechick_
Mirrors - CarlJ
Orphan- CaptainKeeta
Phantasm series - MastersaArmsFan
Saw V - kalsonberry
The Descent - Joeyy
The Devil's Rejects - fishmunky
The Grey - JDolla
MastersaArmsFan
MastersaArmsFan | 05-04-2015 04:49
CaptainKeeta 28 Days Later...
CarlJ Phantasm series
Cheater138 The Descent
fishmunky Orphan
indiechick_ Alien
JDolla Mirrors
Joeyy Hostel
Juliet86 The Grey
kalsonberry Saw V
PinkFloyd 127 Hours
PracticePractic The Devil's Rejects
Saina Jeepers Creepers
Joeyy
Joeyy | 05-04-2015 16:42
*Takes a whiff of Practice* Pew!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 06-04-2015 15:47
Just one full day left... Get those votes in, folks.
CarlJ
CarlJ | 07-04-2015 11:56
CaptainKeeta--Orphan
Cheater138--Saw V
fishmunky--Jeepers Creepers
indiechick_--The Descent
JDolla--Mirrors
Joeyy--Alien
Juliet86--127 Hours
kalsonberry--Hostel
MastersaArmsFan--The Grey
PinkFloyd--28 Days Later
PracticePractic--The Mist
Saina--I Spit On Your Grave
+ Fake-Devil's Rejects

Ehh, who knows? LOL Good Luck everyone
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 07-04-2015 16:10
CaptainKeeta - Orphan
CarlJ - Phantasm
Cheater138 - Descent
fishmunky - The Devil's Rejects
Indiechick_ - Mirrors
JDolla - The Grey
Joeyy - Saw V
Juliet86 - Hostel
MastersaArmsFan - Alien
PinkFloyd - 28 Days Later
PracticePractic - I Spit On Your Grave
Saina - Jeepers Creepers
Joeyy
Joeyy | 07-04-2015 16:42
Looks like I'll be extending the date at this rate, but thanks for the guesses so far.

The submitted reasons aren't as much of a give-away as one might expect, are they?
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 07-04-2015 16:53
I'll answer tonight! I promise!
saina
saina | 07-04-2015 16:59
I guess

CaptainKeeta :: Orphan
CarlJ :: Phantasm
Cheater138 :: The Descent
fishmunky :: Saw V
indiechick_ :: 28 Days Later
JDolla :: The Grey
Joeyy :: Hostel
Juliet86 :: The Devil's Rejects
kalsonberry :: The Mist
MastersaArmsFan :: I Spit On your Grave
PinkFloyd :: Jeepers Creepers
PracticePractic :: Alien

Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 07-04-2015 17:03
I'll post mine later.
indiechick_
indiechick_ | 07-04-2015 21:27
The Submitters
CaptainKeeta - The Devil's Rejects
CarlJ - Phantasm series
Cheater138 - The Mist
fishmunky - Alien
indiechick_
JDolla - The Grey
Joeyy - Hostel
Juliet86 - Orphan
kalsonberry - Saw V
MastersaArmsFan - The Descent
PinkFloyd - Mirrors
PracticePractic - Jeepers Creepers
Saina - 127 Hours
Joeyy
Joeyy | 07-04-2015 21:39
Thanks, B. I'm going to give at least another day for any more guesses to come in.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: