Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 07-03-2015 22:32
*Introductory theme tune*

To irony.

Rules of the quiz:
- One answer per person (per round)
- Always give the answer you think the fewest amount of people would know
- If two people give the same answer in a short space of time, the first person's answer will be accepted (but the second can answer again)
- When applicable, a player may pick the same subject as another contestant and provide a different answer if they believe the other to be incorrect
- If you play the first round, please check back in case you make it through to Round #2
- Resist cheating (i.e. looking up answers; asking others)

And of course, respect your fellow contestants and have fun!

Round #1 will be posted shortly and will remain open until Monday (or, when applicable, until each answer is taken) to give everyone a chance of replying.

* offtopic :
The records of previous winners and pointless answers can be found here.

-------------------------------------------

WINNER: zjenn4, aka Jen
RUNNER-UP: CarlJ, aka Carl
26 to 50 of 110 comments
page 2 of 5
Joeyy
Joeyy | 11-03-2015 00:37
Thank you to whichever one of you edited the posts. Just Carl to answer.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 11-03-2015 00:41
ROUND #2

Your second category relates to...

FLAGS

And the question concerns...

COUNTRIES WITH YELLOW OR GOLD IN THEIR NATIONAL FLAGS

I want the name of any country whose flag is in this image.

You don't have to tell me which flag you're giving me the country of. For example, if the US flag was on there, you wouldn't have to say "United States of America – the red, white and blue flag with the stars and stripes" – you literally just need to name any country you think is there, so you could just guess.

Also, to help you out, the names of the countries are alphabetical from top left down to bottom right (so if you are going to guess, don't say that the bottom right flag is the flag of a country whose name begins with A).

You are, as always, aiming to find an obscure answer. Best of luck.

Answers we've had:

JAMAICA
PALAU
KYRGYZSTAN
SPAIN
SOUTH AFRICA
Joeyy
Joeyy | 11-03-2015 00:48
No one has told me their favourite flag, boooo. I think mine's the middle one down on the far right. I like the slanted angle of the blue, yellow, red, white, and green.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 11-03-2015 00:51
I like the flag to the left of that one.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 11-03-2015 01:15
It's a funny-looking creature.

Jen wins the Brownie Points.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 11-03-2015 15:57
Each flag has often a rich history as to why the colors/ and/or design combination were chosen. My favorite for flag design (out of the rules of the game) is not listed here booo hoo... will discuss when the results are in!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 11-03-2015 18:34
I'm sure they do, Practice. I have a query about one of the flags on there that I'll post after the round ends.

Also a fact from the show about the South African flag: It was supposed to be a temporary flag in 1994, but the South Africans liked it so much that two years later they voted it in as their permanent and official flag, which I thought was nice.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 11-03-2015 19:18
Like such as!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 11-03-2015 19:20
It's impossible not to think of it!
CarlJ
CarlJ | 12-03-2015 12:56
Guyana
Joeyy
Joeyy | 12-03-2015 18:12
ROUND #2 RESULTS

We have a tie! One of you is definitely through and two of you need to answer again, please.

Sarah: 55 (JAMAICA)
Anthony: 51 (SOUTH AFRICA)
Practice: 50 (SPAIN)

Carl: 4 (GUYANA)
Jeff: 4 (PALAU)

Jen: 3 (KYRGYZSTAN)

Good job, Jen. Thank you to Sarah, Ant, and Practice for playing. I would've expected Spain to score much higher. :S

So, Carl and Jeff, if you can answer again, please.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 12-03-2015 18:18
Seychelles

PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 12-03-2015 18:43
Best of luck on the tie breaker Jeff and Carl!

Won't discuss the flags I guess until that is over (Carl is offline so will just wait)
CarlJ
CarlJ | 13-03-2015 02:19
Papa New Guinea
Joeyy
Joeyy | 13-03-2015 02:40
I can't remember how I usually do the second round tie-breaker results, so in the normal formal...

Jeff: 5 (SEYCHELLES)
Carl: 3 (PAPUA NEW GUINEA)

That means that the person joining Jen in the Head-to-Head is Carl! Well done, Carl. Tough luck, Jeff.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 13-03-2015 02:41
Sad. I figured no one knew mine.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 13-03-2015 02:48
Bring it Carl! I'm ready for you!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 13-03-2015 02:53
Well, only a handful did, but only a few knew Carl's.

It's a good job Carl didn't say BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA, because I didn't notice at first that it, too, scored 5 points.

And TUVALU also scored 3, whoops.

SWEDEN and BRAZIL were the highest-scoring answers, with 70 and 71 points respectively.

URUGUAY's happy flag scored 14 points. I always remember theirs and Argentina's as the flags with the suns; my Mum loves them.

And the lowest scorer was SOUTH SUDAN's flag, with just one point.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 13-03-2015 02:53
I'm quite shocked haha.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 13-03-2015 02:56
Oops, I don't think CHINA's been said. Theirs scored 58 points.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 13-03-2015 03:02
lol, have you seen the Seychelles? I am surprised more people didn't know that one. Such a great vacation spot, so pretty. All islands.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 13-03-2015 03:11
Now I can ask? Was the question of naming any country that had yellow or gold in their flag related to the image on the show? You asked for any country in the image I know, just wondering if it was Yellow or gold flags as the source for the image, there were some omissions. For example The Vatican. Half the flag is Yellow with gold in the 13th century iconic keys etc also.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 13-03-2015 03:15
I don't know why they chose the ones they did. I used the same flags used on the show (which I have to do in order to use the scores). I believe there were fifteen, which I did think was strange, because they usually use even numbers. It seems they always like to have a mix of "easy" and "difficult" answers, often with a middle ground also. Other than aiming for that, the flags were probably chosen at random, (again) I don't know. Sorry.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 13-03-2015 03:19
Not a problem! A fun puzzle for the mind...

Speaking of which--you said earlier you had something on your mind to ask about the flags:
I have a query about one of the flags on there that I'll post after the round ends.
Just a post-it-note reminder
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: