LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

LetsSingIt's Pointless Quiz #28 [Ended]

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 24-01-2015 20:31
Dedicated to our three recent birthday girls.

*Introductory theme tune*

Last week saw our pointless answers leader board shook up a bit. Jen is now only one behind B, Sierra's stacking them up, and Practice is shooting up there quite quickly for a newcomer. Jeremy also added his name to it. So let's see what this week's quiz can produce...let's play Pointless!

Rules of the quiz:
- One answer per person (per round)
- Always give the answer you think the fewest amount of people would know
- If two people give the same answer in a short space of time, the first person's answer will be accepted (but the second can answer again)
- When applicable, a player may pick the same subject as another contestant and provide a different answer if they believe the other to be incorrect
- If you play the first round, please check back in case you make it through to Round #2
- Resist cheating (i.e. searching online for answers)

And of course, respect your fellow contestants and have fun!

Round #1 will be posted shortly and will remain open until Monday (or, when applicable, until each answer is taken) to give everyone a chance of replying.

* offtopic :
The records of previous winners and pointless answers can be found here.

-------------------------------------------

WINNER: PracticePractic, aka Practice
RUNNER-UP: zjenn4, aka Jen
126 to 150 of 166 comments
page 6 of 7
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 30-01-2015 01:49
Nice win Practice!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2015 01:59
Thanks Jen for the congrats.. Its a fun game to play, Joey makes it very enjoyable too!
Also thanks----- I try to sprinkle humor wherever I go
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2015 02:00
Thank you Jeff too!
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 30-01-2015 03:25
Congrats Practice! And wow, I did not recognize Venus Williams.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2015 03:53
Thanks Kaleb!

And I agree with you on Venus Williams.... I knew it was a "sports" person by the "Reebok" brand on her shoulder... and I did see something in Elmo's hand.. its its OH I see.. a Tennis Racket!

Guess I fail at being a Sherlock Holmes there... all the evidence was in front of me... just had to recognize which of the Williams sisters it was....Serena or Venus... thanks for making me take another look, to analyze it better, out of the competition pressure of the game.....All the clues were in front of my eyes! Brain was not picking them up!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-01-2015 21:31
Good game, Jen. Thank you for your enthusiasm, Practice. Like Jen, I enjoy your thought processes, even if I'm not sure they're correct.

Odd, we recognised Venus, but we like our tennis.

Practice - apologies for the lateness - would you like to do the optional "final"?
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2015 21:48
Thank you Joey... I enjoy sharing my thought processes (maybe they are helpful to someone else, if they don't work out for you)

Yes, that is probably why Tennis guest was chosen----there were so many guests on Sesame Street over the decades!

No apologies necessary Joey! You had a friend "from London-town" to use the Middle English term if I remember it that far back... there with you for the day.. hope it was fun!

If you're ready, I'm ready to do the final for the first time!! (after you arduously climb a mountain or succeed in a quiz game... you got to go all the way and try to plant a flag up there to say you made it!)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-01-2015 21:53
You've done the final before, remember? Quiz 26. And thank you.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2015 22:00
Oh right..... need to buy the book... "Quiz remembering for Dummies"
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2015 22:02
Its 10 pm GMT there I assume, so whenever you feel ready Joey.... I'll keep checking in from time to time until it starts...

and You're Welcome!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-01-2015 22:38
Yep, same time as the LSI clock.

Great, do you remember how it works? I'm going to give you five categories now for you to pick one from. Your five options this quiz are

ANCIENT GREEK LITERATURE
MOONS OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM
POETRY
POST-WAR LITERATURE PRIZES
STATE VISITS

Barring STATE VISITS, which is from an older episode and therefore has one, all of them have three sub-categories. Which will it be?
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 30-01-2015 23:41
Oh well... I probably should not.. but not thinking anyone else would want it---I'll play nice to everyone else and take the "Ancient Greek Literature" and hope my teachers are not watching my terrible scores from "above"
Joeyy
Joeyy | 31-01-2015 00:19
"Final"

Very brave of you. So I'm going to give you three options now and you can take your answers from any one of these. They can all come from one category; one from each; two from one and one from another, etc. It's up to you. As you might remember, you have three chances in this round to get a pointless answer, and all you need to "win" is for just one of those answers to be pointless.

Here are your three options. I am looking for...

ANY PLAY BY ARISTOPHANES

ANY NAMED CHARACTER IN THE ORESTEIA PLAYS BY AESCHYLUS

ANY NAMED CHARACTER IN THE THEBAN PLAYS BY SOPHOCLES

Very best of luck.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 31-01-2015 00:54
* offtopic :
Rules discussion:

I never bothered to think much about it.... but you say in this and other ones:

three options now and you can take your answers from any one of these. They can all come from one category; one from each; two from one and one from another, etc.

I'm confused.... if we need to choose "one" to take the answers from "any one"... how would I choose two from one and one from another or one from each? Doesn't that violate the idea of "any one" or am I reading these too literally?
I guess I already made up my choice.... but thought I'd ask anyway...
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 31-01-2015 02:08
* offtopic :
Am I waiting on your response? or you on mine?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 31-01-2015 17:04
I went to bed. I'm not sure what you mean. If your main category was FOOD JOEY LOVES and the sub-catgeories were

CHEESE JOEY LOVES
CHOCOLATE JOEY LOVES
CAKE JOEY LOVES

then you could choose to name (for example) three cheeses, or two cheeses and one type of chocolate bar, or one cheese and one chocolate bar and one cake.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 31-01-2015 18:14
Hi Joey!
Not a problem! Get your rest too!

Perfect (its the answer I assumed it was even if reading it seemed otherwise to me)... Thanks!

Therefore (to be nice to you and myself or others who follow) ---I won't use up two of the sub-categories---so they are available for other games in future for me or others to choose---I'll take all 3 guesses from:

ANY PLAY BY ARISTOPHANES

Thanks everyone for your patience! Game on!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 31-01-2015 18:17
No, the two others won't stay there. Once you've picked the category, it's gone. There may be similar ones in future, but it isn't saved if someone doesn't give an answer for each sub-category.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 31-01-2015 18:30
Ok, I had no idea how that was accomplished....

Its ok, I will stay with choosing all 3 in the Aristophanes comedy vein--there is enough sadness in the world not to choose the latter 2 categories---seemed more detailed, unless---well I'll find out when I hear (I mean read) the question!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 31-01-2015 18:45
...There isn't a question. It's like the rest of the quiz, and the "final" you did last time, except then you choose a category with only one sub-category instead of three (because it was from an older episode; the older episodes didn't offer three sub-categories).
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 31-01-2015 18:48
Guess the ol brain aint' working like it used to...
So its just name 3 plays by Aristophanes? out of the ones named by audience in 100 seconds looking for a pointless one? Did I get the idea now?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 31-01-2015 18:54
Yeah. It's all right. As always - because it's the best result - you're hoping to find a pointless answer, i.e. an answer none of the 100 people gave. Any play by Aristophanes, any character in the Oresteia plays, or any character in the Theban plays. You give three answers - they play for money in the show, so contestants are given three guesses in the final round (only a pointless answer in the final will win them the money). For us it's just a bit of extra fun.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 31-01-2015 19:01
Just to be clear (I thought you answered it totally), I assume each of the 3 sub-categories were answered separately by 100 people, so its not 100 people choosing to answer 2 plays and 1 character, or 1 play, 1 character from Oresteia, one character from Theban---- would only help me to figure out which is lowest if I know its just 100 hitting the target category I'd like to choose of just the Plays of Aristophanes.....
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 31-01-2015 19:10
If the above is clear, then I'll post the 3 plays in bottom-top (isthat right?) order, the one I think most likely to NOT be pointless at the top, and ones better and better below that... simple enough ok? (Didn't want to keep anyone waiting on my figuring out if the 100 answered all in one category, or if they too could spread their choices around).... TMW (too much writing)
Joeyy
Joeyy | 31-01-2015 19:12
I didn't know that's what you were asking. I did say I wasn't sure what you meant.

As far as we know, the 100 seconds cover all three sub-categories. We've never been told, nor has it been implied, that the 100 people get 100 seconds per sub-category.

The 100 people give as many answers as they can within the 100 seconds. It's the contestants on the show who are limited to three answers. This

and you can take your answers from any one of these. They can all come from one category; one from each; two from one and one from another, etc. It's up to you. As you might remember, you have three chances in this round to get a pointless answer, and all you need to "win" is for just one of those answers to be pointless

...applies to the show's contestants only (and you/LSI players), not the 100 people. There has to be a limit; they can't let the show go on forever or give people dozens of chances of winning the money.

So for your three answers, you could give one play by Aristophanes, one character from the Theban plays, and one character from the Oresteia plays. Alternatively, you could name two from one of them and one from another, or you could name one from each of the three sub-categories.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: