LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Random poll. (Guys, you better stay away!)

Follow 5
Add topic
Search
Saina1712
Saina1712 | 22-01-2015 19:10
Question:Have you ever dressed up as a princess?
I'm a guy6 (40.0 %)vote
No5 (33.3 %)vote
Yes4 (26.7 %)vote
Kind of0 (0.0 %)vote
total votes: 15
1 to 25 of 28 comments
page 1 of 2
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 22-01-2015 19:20
No
I've never had the desire to be a princess. I did dress up as Lucille Ball for the one Halloween I went trick-or-treating, though.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 22-01-2015 19:23
No
. . .
Saina1712
Saina1712 | 22-01-2015 19:37
No
^

I just realised this a few moments ago. *makes a sad face*
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 22-01-2015 20:09
I'm a guy
Umad
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 22-01-2015 20:12
No
Not really. Either as a Chinese girl or as a Smurf, as far as I remember.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 22-01-2015 20:18
Yes
Saina1712
Saina1712 | 22-01-2015 20:18
Umad

U were dressed up as a princess?
Saina1712
Saina1712 | 22-01-2015 20:20
Finally, a girl who was a princess! *points to Lisa*
Joeyy
Joeyy | 22-01-2015 20:21
Strange thing to applaud. It's not an achievement. :p
Saina1712
Saina1712 | 22-01-2015 20:24
Applause for the appearance of a princess is totally justified.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 22-01-2015 23:55
No
Not that I can remember. I liked to dress up as cardboard and toilet paper monsters, you know, cheap stuff.
JDolla
JDolla | 23-01-2015 00:40
Yes
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 23-01-2015 01:28
I'm a guy
* offtopic :
An observation:

Wearing a princess costume (on one day out of a year) may be more due to cultural or societal driven expectations--- I may not know it totally Saina, but in Indian society, where the family wishes are considered above all else, girls (and boys) will tend to follow their parent's lead, so wearing princess (or girl-centric outfits) would be encouraged. There are areas of India where women are celebrated and revered, while other areas they are not---- Your First Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru said: "You can tell the condition of a Nation by looking at the status of its Women."

In the United States, long years have been spent successfully fighting for women's equality in voting, workforce, the glass ceiling breakthroughs, etc in all aspects of life. This has translated down to providing girls, adolescent girls, with more choices in life, so when they grow up, there is a wider range of acceptable careers for them. Doll manufacturers (one example) have certainly expanded the list of jobs/careers for the female dolls, into areas traditionally dominated by men, providing early outside support for freedom of choice.

Whether or not one actually wore or was encouraged to wear at one time costumes designed/designated just for girls (or boys) is not as important as how that effected their thinking as they grew into adulthood. If they overcame these early experiences and gender roles forced onto them by culture/society, then that is truly means for .

That awareness proves a girl's young women's self-esteem, their self worth is intact and higher than merely following the conventions set forth in one's youth. Then these experiences can lead to well balanced, marvelous, productive independent members of adult society, with self-actualization, the ability to think and do on their own with no limits to their thinking or lives hanging over from earlier childhood experiences.

Yes, I know its a fun poll, but just seeing a few comments here I felt I should add in some more viewpoints to help further the discussion along.....

Thanks for the "I'm a guy" choice, the poll would not let me comment without checking something!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 23-01-2015 01:58
Given your response, one would think you would've chosen "No".
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 23-01-2015 02:52
LOL, I chose the one truthful one I could be certain of.... ."I'm a guy"

Choosing "No" doesn't cover crossdressing tendencies or comedy routines (think Monty Python et al.... all guys, dressed as women on show)
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 23-01-2015 12:46
So you don't know if you've dressed as a princess or not?
Saina1712
Saina1712 | 23-01-2015 12:58
* offtopic :
In India, the (good) children are driven by a simple reason that their parents have done so much for them, without expecting much in return except love and respect. So yes, parents' wishes do matter but a child's wishes are considered too. I think, those days have gone away when parents' wishes were considered above all. Today, the main goal of a parent of is to raise a good and successful child who is not unfamiliar with their culture. (If you'd ask me, nowadays kids are getting smarter and uncontrollable. If you raise a good child who knows when to use their voice and when not, I'd think that you deserve a Nobel prize.) I don't know of any custom in India which would require girls being dressed up as a princess. It's all about a wish of a child or a parent.

When it's about the status of women in my country, I guess, it's just like in any other country. In some families/places, women enjoy equal status and in some, they don't. Sometimes it's about the mentality of the people around them and sometimes it's about the money or power. That happens in other countries too, right?
I live in Delhi, the capital of India. I've seen families in which daughters are considered equal to sons (if not more, as you know, we are more cute and adorable. ) Daughters of such families are given total freedom to choose their careers or life-partner or the place they wanna live seperately. Yet, in same Delhi, I've seen/ heard of such families which think girls are nothing but burden because the family has to bear the expenses of raising them plus the dowry (gifts and money given to the groom's family, which can go to ₹10 million too). So they don't treat daughters the same way they'd treat their sons. It's all about investment and returns, you know. If you raise a daughter, she'll give the returns of your investment to her husband's family. But a son stays in the family he was born. So, the returns are enjoyed by the family which made the investment.

If you'll look into any religion's holy book, they'd say to treat all women with respect and love. The Hindu families often treat young girls as deities in some of the pooja. I was once called to be one of the nine young girls to sit in one such pooja (Although I belong to another religion, they still invited me. It shows how big their heart was.) The elder women tied a holy string around my wrist, they washed my feet (it's very big deal, if somebody touches your feet. And if an elder person does that... You can just imagine how awkward that felt) and then I was fed with with good food. I felt so important that day. In West Bengal (a state in India, from where my mother belongs), people call their daughters/nieces/grand-daughters 'maa-muni' or 'maa' lovingly. These endearments means 'mother-like' or 'mother'. A mother's status is considered very high, next to the God's and in some culture equivalent to a god's status. A father has to be respected but a mother has to be loved, cherished and respected. All of these ways to treat a woman shows that even in older days women enjoyed higher status. It's just that some people for their own good manipulated the society's way of functioning and pushing women into the lower status. However, the good news is that more people are getting educated and changing their own and their families' backward way of thinking. Now, they know that daughters also carry their name forward and only a well-educated, happy and confident daughter can bring good name to her own family.
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 23-01-2015 14:43
* offtopic :
Thank you Saina for the view from inside India, with all of the splendor, details, and personal anecdotes of a native truly proud of her country's history and heritage and its place in the modern world too! No simple thoughts or answers, a complex, interrelated web of themes there. Great explanation! Well done!!
Saina1712
Saina1712 | 23-01-2015 15:05
* offtopic :
Thanks, Practice.
JDolla
JDolla | 23-01-2015 17:08
I was the prettiest goddamn princess the world has ever or will ever know. I actually had a sash that said exactly that.
Saina1712
Saina1712 | 23-01-2015 17:11
Applause for another princess here.
indiechick_
indiechick_ | 23-01-2015 18:12
Yes
every single day.
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 23-01-2015 18:39
I'm a guy
* offtopic :
Way too many posts the size of an essay in here.

valdez
valdez | 26-01-2015 22:22
I'm a guy
No, I haven't.

But, as far as I remember, it happened, that I dressed up as strange characters like monsters or other ugly stuff.
MastersaArmsFan
MastersaArmsFan | 26-01-2015 23:58
Yes
He dressed up like a hunky peasant. It was a win-win!
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: