en

LetsSingIt Goes Mobile

Follow 8
Add topic
Search
Ray
Ray | 15-11-2014 14:00
Hey guys,

Today LetsSingIt makes its first preparations for implementing a fully responsive website. "Responsive web design" is a name used for a web design that change the appearance (image sizes, font sizes, navigation, etc) of the website based depending on the screen size. In other words, LetsSingIt goes Mobile!

At the moment, LetsSingIt has only one web design size, "big". Perfect for desktops, but less ideal for devices with smaller screen sizes. Apparently "the bigger, the better" isn't always the best slogan to use. So for this time we go ... "the more flexible, the better"

For the next period you'll notice more changes in the layout of LetsSingIt. Once the full implemention has been done, LetsSingIt will automatically scale to the optimal size based on the device you're using. So stay tuned!

Ray
1 to 25 of 35 comments
page 1 of 2
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 15-11-2014 14:13
Ray, words cannot describe how excited and happy I am for this. This is a huge milestone! I'm so happy that LSI is on mobile! Thank you so much for this, Ray!
CarlJ
CarlJ | 15-11-2014 14:34
You rock it Ray!
PracticePractic
PracticePractic | 15-11-2014 16:07
Hallo Ray:

Thanks again for undertaking this programming task. I'm aware of how difficult it is for converting the older sites to mobile-friendly ones and wish you Succes!

I note that your new banner rotates news items (like this one!) after good graphic/black arrow at top of pages...

Reading the one about no advertisements for members: Is it better for you and your site's revenue for us to stay on the page and have ads displayed (click on a few?) to provide revenue streaming, or is it more revenue for your site from having the free memberships? Just wondering which way you prefer, if we could be of help in any way.

Beste wensen.

Practice.
Ray
Ray | 15-11-2014 16:33
Hi Practice. Converting LSI to mobile is indeed a pretty big project. But doing it in steps will make it doable for sure

And about the ads, I think it's always an honor when users take the time and effort to create an account on LSI to explore what's more on the site. Of course dropping the ads for members is a way to encourage users to create an account, but it's also small way to say "thanks for using LSI!".

And the best wishes to you too (that's what "beste wensen" means )
robdog2008
robdog2008 | 15-11-2014 19:10
much needed design for users on the go
and for users of widescreen devices
Joeyy
Joeyy | 15-11-2014 19:21
That's great, Ray.

I notice you've made several new changes already and I was wondering if you could tell us if they're meant to be part of changing the website for better mobile use. I ask because there are currently no benefits of the first changes. So I'm wondering if you could tell us what they're meant to be.
Ray
Ray | 15-11-2014 19:44
The changes in layout implemented today were needed to make the framework responsive (header, menu, search bar, ads, etc). That you don't see any changes yet is because other elements of the site are not updated yet and don't scale. Once everything has been updated, the site should scale. Then you'll also see what the layout changes of today in "action"
Joeyy
Joeyy | 15-11-2014 19:48
Great, thanks.
FireWaterBurn6
FireWaterBurn6 | 15-11-2014 22:33
Apparently "the bigger, the better" isn't always the best slogan to use.

-Aisha
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 15-11-2014 23:34
So far, so good. Going from page to page is very smooth. The screen doesn't jump around like normal on my phone, especially when clicking links. I don't know if other people had this issue ever or not.

Something really great that I noticed that I'm not sure if you purposely did or not. But the top dropdown buttons never worked properly on an iOS device. I use my iPad and iPhone for everything, don't have PC anymore. So I had to take the long way to get to places on the site. But dropdowns work great now. I can just tap once and the list shows up.

Also noticed that things are easier to close now. For example, when working on reviews after finishing it was always difficult closing (using x button in top right corner of the window). It's much easier now, it's working the first time, each time.

Plus, it just seems faster. This is what I've noticed so far. I haven't tried adding or correcting material yet though.

Ray
Ray | 15-11-2014 23:57
The items you described are indeed in the area where changes can be expected. LSI is on a diet untill it fits the mobile suit. Nice review by the way
Joeyy
Joeyy | 16-11-2014 00:07
Hm. I don't have an iPhone and none of those changes have occurred for me.
starfoxfangirl
starfoxfangirl | 16-11-2014 22:30
It is a bit inconvenient having to pull out my laptop everytime I want to come on, I am very much looking forward to this
pikagirl
pikagirl | 16-11-2014 22:32
good
rainking884
rainking884 | 16-11-2014 22:33
Awesome!! Great idea!
JDolla
JDolla | 16-11-2014 22:34
The dropdowns are working properly for me, on android using chrome
Joeyy
Joeyy | 16-11-2014 22:39
My post wasn't very clear - the drop-downs are fine for me, but I never had a problem with them (they do seem quicker now). The main issue I have is with the "jumping around", but that only occurs when trying to edit or inserting links. That hasn't changed. Fingers crossed it will.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 16-11-2014 22:59
The drop-downs kind of worked for me before (on iPhone), but they are better now. I haven't noticed any other changes.
Rubbo81
Rubbo81 | 17-11-2014 09:24
Nice. Will be good also an app linked to LSI
goretski
goretski | 17-11-2014 16:55
That is a great question!!!! Are there any plans to ever have a mobile app for "Let's Sing It"
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 17-11-2014 17:45
Oh, notifications work on my phone now. Nice.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 17-11-2014 18:18
Not on mine.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 17-11-2014 19:21
What phone do you have Joey?

I forgot to mention before that my browser is Safari on both my iPhone and iPad and once in awhile I use Mercury. And before, on my iPhone the notifications were not working properly. I would click the button and it would pop up but it would pop to the right and go off screen, doesn't do that anymore because it pops to the left.
CaptainStabbin
CaptainStabbin | 17-11-2014 19:40
Works great on Chrome and Firefox for Andoird
Joeyy
Joeyy | 17-11-2014 19:44
HTC Mini something something.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: