LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Question about the "popular song" dialog box

Follow 3
Add topic
Search
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-08-2014 23:37
During my ventures into artist moderating here, I keep having to face the dreaded dialog box that occasionally pops up when trying to delete certain songs - "This is a popular song and therefore cannot be removed." It's extremely annoying, and I must ask...why is this even a thing? I've seen this occur way too often with fake and duplicate songs, and it drives me nuts. When I'm perfecting an artist's page the last thing I need is a pesky, undeletable fake/dupe song that just sits in their archive forever. What makes the situation worse is that forum moderators can't even delete these songs.

My two cents - it would be great if this was removed. I'm sure the dialog box does exist for songs that are legitimately popular, but I don't think any artist moderator would be dumb enough to delete a real song by an artist, let alone a popular one. Thoughts?
18 comments
Joeyy
Joeyy | 18-08-2014 23:51
Mm, I can't delete an Alanis Morissette song that shouldn't exist here (because it's under the wrong name) because of this feature.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 18-08-2014 23:53
Hello Nicolas, that problem is driving me crazy too. I've already talked about that in the Song that need to be removed thread.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 19-08-2014 04:32
We've had a problem with some members deleting songs that shouldn't be deleted. It messes with the charts system if that song happens to be listed. I'm sure this is not the only reason why. It also messes up LSI rank history and removes ratings and comments and is just dumb to do. It's unfortunate that dumb people have to ruin it for everyone else. But, since my last complaint about this issue, I have had no problems deleting "popular" songs. Have you girls had any?
Ray
Ray | 19-08-2014 10:34
Exacty, some songs have been deleted recently that shouldn't have been be deleted. These were popular songs with a long track record and removed without a valid reason. So I added an this "popularity" check when trying to remove a song or album. Not exactly what I want, give moderators restrictions, but needed unfortunately.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 19-08-2014 10:40
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But seeing as you need to be a member here for four months to delete songs (or in special cases like mine, Ray lifts that restriction early) I wouldn't think people willing to stick around that long would delete actual popular songs in the ranks. I'd think it doesn't happen too often, but I guess I'm wrong.

But, since my last complaint about this issue, I have had no problems deleting "popular" songs.

So wait, maybe Ray lifted that restriction for forum moderators if that's the case?
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 19-08-2014 14:48
Maybe the Super Artist Mods, I'll see what the other girls say. If not, maybe Ray can lift the ban on certain members he trusts, like us 4. Also, a way around it, I know this is a pain. You can transfer the "popular" song to an unpopular artist. Preferably some artist that has no other existing data, and attempt to delete it that way. If that doesn't work. You can still transfer it, wait a week until it's "popularity" goes down, then remove it. It certainly won't be popular under a wrong artists name after a period of one week.

I don't know if Ray would advise this though. It's just the only way I see around it.

Do you have a "popular" song you need deleted right now? I want to try and see if I can do it. Because I haven't had any problems for a few days now.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 19-08-2014 14:58
No, as I said in my first post, I can't delete a song under Alanis Morissette - Forgive Me, Love - because it's "popular". This surprises me if the popularity rankings change week-by-week, as this song has been out for years. The reason it shouldn't be there is because it's not called that; it's called Your House.

Ray, do you know why Sierra would be able to do it and no one else?
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 19-08-2014 15:14
No, I tried to delete that one and it won't let me, hmm. It's weird. Because I don't see anything important about that song, other than the comments, I guess?
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 19-08-2014 16:01
Still that problem with Delta Goodrem and Brian McFadden's song. At first, 2 of them were in the former's map and one in the latter's map, then I used the "transfer to another artist" function.

1. Almost Here (duet with Brian McFadden) (right)
2. Almost Here (wrong)
3. Almost Here (wrong)

I'm sure that the same duet appears on both albums (Mistaken Identity and Irish Son) and I kept the correct one, the first. No LSI rank listed for the second and third. I've removed lyrics, comments and videos for the second and third - still I can't delete them, for the aforementioned reason.

In case a duet is on 2 albums at the same time... I'd like to see the same song on both albums (with the "duet with" mentioned in the artist line), instead of one each.

Ray, I need some help! I can't figure out this term "popular song" if there are no LSI ranks listed.
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 19-08-2014 16:13
Ray, can we get some info on what defines a "popular" song? We know that LSI rank, chart position and writer/copyright credit will prevent removal of a song. But in Joey's case, her song has none of those. So what are we missing?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 19-08-2014 17:05
^ Yes please.

Maybe Super Mods could override the feature?
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 19-08-2014 20:08
Maybe the Super Artist Mods, I'll see what the other girls say. If not, maybe Ray can lift the ban on certain members he trusts, like us 4. Also, a way around it, I know this is a pain. You can transfer the "popular" song to an unpopular artist. Preferably some artist that has no other existing data, and attempt to delete it that way. If that doesn't work. You can still transfer it, wait a week until it's "popularity" goes down, then remove it. It certainly won't be popular under a wrong artists name after a period of one week.

What I've actually done a few times is take a duplicate "popular song" and rename it to another song by the artist that doesn't have a page yet. Then I'll just paste in the lyrics to that song and it'll be set. However, I run into problems when there's no songs by the artist that are missing pages here, therefore I have no other song to move the page to, and that's what has happened a few times.

Also, I have tried transferring a "popular" song to another artist before - as I did with Wild Cherry's "Hold On" when I moved it to Eddie Money's page, and it still wasn't deletable. I doubt moving it to a blank artist's page will be any different, and personally, I don't think we should be moving other artists' songs to random unpopular artist pages, anyways.

Do you have a "popular" song you need deleted right now? I want to try and see if I can do it. Because I haven't had any problems for a few days now.

I did have some, actually, but I forgot what they were. I'll be sure to post them here if they come to mind.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 27-08-2014 03:36
Last week, I've said that this problem of duplicate songs was driving me crazy. How come I don't have this problem anymore? Now, the 2 duplicate "Almost Here" songs that I wanted to remove have disappeared. I don't even see the box "This is a popular song and therefore cannot be removed". Is it because I'm a super artist mod?
PinkFloyd
PinkFloyd | 27-08-2014 14:31
I talked to Ray. The Super Mods will no longer see this "popular song" message. And I am the one that deleted those two songs for you.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 27-08-2014 14:35
Sierra : thanks for having answered me.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 27-08-2014 20:04
Oh man, that's a great thing to hear. Guess I'll be posting "popular songs" that need to be deleted in my Songs To Be Removed thread now, whenever I come across some.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 07-09-2014 12:57
Found a "popular song" that needs to be deleted - has a typo in the song name. It's already in the database under "You'll Never Find Brian Here", the correct title.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 19-09-2014 12:44
And I am the one that deleted those two songs for you.
* offtopic :
Bleh, you did it while I was away. I am the Delta mod - it was my turn to delete them, right?

OK, this duplicate song problem won't drive me crazy anymore.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: