LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

YouTube (Amateur) Covers

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 17-08-2014 00:33
Apologies to Joe first of all, as I think he recently mentioned his hatred for covers on YouTube ( ), but I believe there are a few of us who do enjoy them. We've talked about existing cover threads a few times. There's Jeremy's Rock Covers thread, the Worst Covers thread, and a couple of threads (such as Favorite Covers?) for well-known songs covered by other famous bands.

I think we established there hasn't thus far been one for covers by amateurs: unknown people nailing songs by established artists. So, this is that thread. Post your favourite amateur covers from YouTube (or other sites) so that you can remember them and hopefully others can enjoy them also.

Please post them as you find them rather than just as a list, and if you want you can tell us if you prefer the cover to the original or if you enjoy them equally. Feel free to comment on any of the songs before yours.
16 comments
juicy1
juicy1 | 17-08-2014 01:27
* offtopic :
I hate most covers because the artist doesn't disclose that's what it is until you've already loaded the video and you have some moron saying, "Hey this is *insert song name* by *stupid name here*, if you like it, give me a thumbs up or whatever"

You are forgiven Joey

Joeyy
Joeyy | 17-08-2014 17:59
* offtopic :
Haha, fair enough.

I like this cover by Eli Lieb of Lana Del Rey's Born to Die.

I prefer Lana's, but I liked this one enough to buy it/put it on my phone.
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 18-08-2014 06:11
Boys of Summer cover. It came up on my Last.fm and I thought it was pretty good.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 18-09-2014 01:46
Not bad, Kaleb. He has kind of a grainy voice, but it's nice enough.

There's a YT channel I love called ScottBradleeLovesYa. I'll probably post different songs from there. Although there are regulars, they have a number of singers who cover songs, but often in a very different way to the originals. They make them in 1930s, 1960s (and other) styles, it's awesome.

It's not my favourite, but I do like this cover of Lorde's 'Royals'.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-09-2014 01:50
That's really neat. It reminds me of this cover I saw late last year of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" - perhaps it's the same group? The central woman looks like she's in the other video, too.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 18-09-2014 01:50
I've seen that video numerous times. She's definitely in other videos.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 18-09-2014 01:53
Yeah, that's the band. The woman in both videos is my favourite performer on the channel. Great voice and I find her captivating to watch.
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-09-2014 02:03
Yeah, she's got an amazing voice. What I've always loved about covers like that is that they provide a fresh twist on songs that are often overplayed and tiresome, since they don't strictly follow the original's melody in either the instrumentation or vocals. They're just kind of free-form.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 18-09-2014 03:17
Ditto.

I noticed you said you hadn't heard the Gangnam Style song. Have you heard one of Psy's other big hits, Gentleman? I ask because the band has a version of it and I quite enjoy it (and the dancing is awesome). That woman (Robyn Adele Anderson) is on vocals and it's in the style of 1920s music. If you want to listen to their version, I advise at least thirty seconds of the original, because comparisons are interesting. :]
MCSMeister
MCSMeister | 18-09-2014 10:52
I haven't heard any of Psy's songs, nope. I know he also made a song with Snoop Dogg recently called "Hangover". But yeah, I'd only listen to a cover by them if I knew the original song.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 08-11-2014 20:56
I find I really like this cover of Echosmith's - Cool Kids done by the Gardiner Sisters.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 19-02-2015 02:58
It's no Lindsey Stirling, but I kinda like this violin cover (just ignore the video part).

And this one too.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 19-02-2015 05:28
Had a listen to these since I too am a fan of the original song. It's very catchy and upbeat. Out of the two covers, I prefer the instrumental. I'm not sure what it is about boy bands; I don't think I've ever been a big fan of any of them, usually only liking the odd song here and there over the years. It was sung well enough; it just didn't have the same feel to it (for me) as the original. It sounded quite young, sort of like teenagers singing it without real feelings to impress the opposite sex? That sounds a little harsh, but it's the best I can come up with as to why I didn't get the same vibe. I think the violin cover could be improved. I wasn't sure if I liked it because of his playing or because the catchy music was still there; I'd like to hear it without.

Criticisms aside, they're both still fairly good, just not ones I'd put on my phone to listen to regularly.

* offtopic :
This reminded me of the only BGT audition I ever remember (01:07) - the epic playing by these four ladies - and I thank you for also reminding me of Lindsey Stirling's awesome playing in songs like Shatter Me.
zjenn4
zjenn4 | 04-03-2015 03:24
Y'all already know I am obsessed with this song, and I have been a fan of Kait Weston for years. The tone to her voice is just so pure and smooth.

Also, I really liked that Scala video. I would go see those ladies play a concert for sure. And hopefully Lindsey Sterling would be playing her own set as well.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 23-02-2016 06:02

Pretty voice. A nice cover of The 1975's Somebody Else.
JDolla
JDolla | 23-02-2016 13:35
A nice coffee shop acoustic Dan Henig cover of the song "Get Low". Family-friendly and work-appropriate, so gather everyone around and crank up the volume

Also "Say My Name" by the same dude

POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: