LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Late 80s - 90s alternative rock/pop rock

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
TechNedly
TechNedly | 30-07-2014 18:58
First off, new to the forum and I have never done this before. Second, I am a big music fan of all genres, have a collection of 12k + digital songs, albums and box sets as well as hundreds of vinyl records, cassettes, 8-tracks and cd's.

I heard a song on the radio the other day that I once knew of in the 90s, and possibly was from then or late 80s. It sounds so much like The calling, kinda like Where ever you will go, so much so I am bummed to find it is not them. I have been searching for weeks.

Short description: I have no lyrics except that it was relationship related with a rock tone. So it was not sappy, sorta like Creed. I think it started with an electric guitar, slightly slow. In the beginning there was a line "something" - "love" - "something", that is all I remember.

These are bands that are close but are not it:

Alex Band
Lifehouse
Vertical Horizon - very comparable to the song I am searching for
Howie Day
Goo Goo Dolls
Dishwalla
Five For Fighting
Matchbox Twenty
Daughtry
Nine Days
Rob Thomas
3 Doors Down
Creed
Tonic

The song sounds very much like The Calling, Default, Daughtry....
The singer of the song had a deeper voice like creed or something.
Sometimes I want to lean towards something like Default, who sounded all too much like them, or maybe some soft song pulled out by Cold, maybe Tantric, where it had a rock effect but was a little easy. No screamo, and it started slow.

Any suggestions? I am interested in anything, even if it is just artists I could check out.....
1 to 25 of 27 comments
page 1 of 2
TechNedly
TechNedly | 30-07-2014 19:17
Sounds like Duncan Sheik, but I cannot find the song in his stuff, he also plays more acoustic than what I remember in the other song.

Could have been a one hit wonder too....
Joeyy
Joeyy | 30-07-2014 19:25
Duncan Sheik doesn't have a particularly deep voice, does he?
TechNedly
TechNedly | 30-07-2014 19:53
Not too much, but it is not too far off of the genre I think. I am not used to some of these artists, some of them have just now been introduced to me in my search for this song....
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 31-07-2014 00:08
Hmmm...tough one. Try Puddle of Mudd? Third Eye Blind? Edwin McCain?
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:00
Not puddle of mud, close though. I think puddle of mud is a little more rockish, where this song is very much like The Calling. I don't think it is Third eye Blind but I will do some searching and see. As far as Edwin McCain I do not know his stuff so I will look!!
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:05
Ok so I do not think it is third eye blind, and it is deff. not Edqin Mccain. It is the right period of time I think, but the voice still sounded more like The Calling, a deeper voice, not too deep. There was a song Cold did in the album "Year of the spider" that was located at the end of the cd with the song "kill the music industry" which had 15 mins of blank silence until the end where the song "Gone Away" played, it sounds a lot like that was well. Although the Cold album is more rockish, when they play the softer song it is very close to it..
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE3Ukne22SE
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:07
I am getting an app up and going to launch my music collection today and I am going to do some digging. I found it also sounds similar to Stone Sour... A little..
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:09
There is this song by Velvet Revolver, in the very beginning for maybe 15 seconds it sounds similar to the song i am searching for. Although after that these guys go to some Alice In Chains sound... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JhsUFuqbCM
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:13
The singers voice was so comparable to both The Calling and Default that I am surprised it is not them...
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:18
I even took college courses regarding music and I am stumped over this song. I have even ripped up Pandora hoping it would come through. The electric guitar in the beginning was not powerful, rather it was soft. In fact it started with little instruments, and as far as I heard it did not pick up a lot. I want to say it could be technically "indie rock" or a "indie pop", but I think the band might possibly be American vs British...
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:28
"All That Remains" is another band that sounds very similar..
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:31
Actually, as far as All That Remains, it sounds more specifically like "What If I Was Nothing", with a little less of the rock aspect.. Just a reminder, it sounds so close to The Calling, specifically, "Where Ever You Will Go"...
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:34
It also sounds a lot like "Our Lady Peace", especially the song "Somewhere Out There"
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:42
Lifehouse - Hanging by a Moment, also sounds similar...
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 14:54
I really think this song might have been a one hit wonder...Possibly most popular in the 90's, if it were the 80s it would be late 80s...

Anything?? Anyone??
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 01-08-2014 15:00
Goodness, you could have combined all of these posts into one or two.
TechNedly
TechNedly | 01-08-2014 15:02
Yeah I have sent them out as I search and think of things to help LOL, I feel bad not having like some lyrics or something so anytime I find anything that might help I toss it in..LOL
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 01-08-2014 16:14
I did a search for "songs like wherever you will go" and came up with a few bands/songs you haven't mentioned..

Far Away - Nickeback (chorus goes "I love you, I have loved you all along")
Wonderwall - Oasis
Falls on Me - Fuel
Broken - Seether **check both versions, with and without Amy Lee, they sound different** (First line: "I wanted you to know, that I love the way you laugh")

All bands might be worth checking other songs as well.

If I think of more, I'll post them.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-08-2014 16:28
* offtopic :
And if you like Broken, check out their recently posted acoustic version.
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 01-08-2014 16:29
Try googling "rock one hit wonders 90s" or something like that? I could see it being Broken by Seether, although that is a 2000s song.
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 01-08-2014 16:46
I've been doing that for like the last half hour, Kaleb. So much awesome music I forgot about.
juicy1
juicy1 | 01-08-2014 17:58
I just want to say thank you for the rock one hit wonders 90s statement.

I've been listening to Hootie and the Blowfish fort he past 30 minutes.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 01-08-2014 19:51
* offtopic :
Yes, but let's not group Seether with one-hit wonders.
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 01-08-2014 20:34
Haha, no problem! I was on the Hoobastank/Trapt/Three Days Grace/Breaking Benjamin tract this morning, probably because of this.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: