en

Funky Spanish-language song

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
bwhetsell
bwhetsell | 30-03-2014 21:22
Hi all,

I'm trying to ID a song I recently heard (on March 29, 2014) at a New York City Whole Foods and I'm having no luck. Here's what I know:

• The song's lyrics were in Spanish, female vocalist.
• The only lyrics I could recognize were "no es nada" – it appeared a few times at the end of phrases. (Unfortunately "no es nada" appears to be a very common turn of phrase in Spanish and it occurs in lyrics all the time – my Spanish is terrible and I couldn't make out anything else.)
• The singing was very legato.
• The instrumental parts had a hip hop feel, and sounded almost like they might have been sampled from a David Axelrod track or something similar. Bells or chimes (or something like that) were featured pretty prominently.
• The bass line sounded a bit like the bass line from "Judge Jury And Executioner" by Atoms For Peace, except the bass line in the song I heard went from high to low instead of low to high (and was in straight 4/4 meter, not 7/4).
• Since this is Whole Foods, I think it's unlikely that the song will be something too out of the ordinary (but it was early in the morning when there might be more leeway with the music choices, and you never really know anyway)
• I *think* I heard some contemporary-sounding synthesizers in the background somewhere, which would lead me to believe that this song is fairly new, but I'm not totally sure about this.

Thanks for your help.

Ben
2 comments
Joeyy
Joeyy | 31-03-2014 00:04
I'm going to be honest and admit that I don't understand much of what you said - I love music, but I don't speak the "language". But if it the song was by a female artist, sounded fairly new, had a Hip-Hop feel, and heard in Whole Foods...have you tried Shakira?
bwhetsell
bwhetsell | 31-03-2014 00:21
I'm 99% certain it wasn't Shakira (she's has a pretty recognizable sound). The vocals were breathier. The song also had a fairly slow tempo, about 75 bpm give or take, which is slower than Shakira (at least the one or two Shakira songs I'm familiar with). The song wasn't poppy, it seemed a bit on the sad side (but I have no idea what was being said) – but more funky than sad.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: