LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Idea(s) for a Quiz

Follow 1
Add topic
Search
Joeyy
Joeyy | 07-01-2014 21:49
So this idea's come up based on a bit of interest in Randomness. Each week I'd host our "LSI Quiz" using questions and answers from a show I watch every week day with my parents at tea time (and on weekends if the celebrity edition is on, because we're just that cool).

The reason any old question wouldn't be used is obvious: the temptation to Google might prove too much. What's good about the ones from the show is that, whilst Googling - although against the rules - could be useful sometimes, cheating wouldn't necessarily allow people to win because of how the game works.

The aim of the game is to choose the most obscure (correct...) answer you can think of. The questions are put to 100 people before the show; contestants have to guess the answers that the fewest of the 100 people gave. The highest scoring person or people in each round is/are knocked out.

There would be a thread for weekly sign-ups, so that I'd know how many questions to collect each time, and the quizzes themselves would likely begin on a Friday, but possibly a Saturday. Each quiz would run for as long as necessary, but hopefully no more than six days (so that we could start the next). If a week proves too short, it could be every two weeks instead.

Anyway...

From this thread, I'd like two things:
1) To see if there's enough interest, and
2) To determine the best way of doing it, as there are two options:

Option #1 We could have two-person teams like they do on the show, meaning each team would give two answers (one per member) in the first two rounds. There are normally four rounds in total, but teams give one answer between them in the last two.

Option #2 Alternatively, it could be every person for him/herself, meaning a shorter and ultimately "less complicated" quiz, but some might say less fun as well. ("Less complicated" because it wouldn't have to involve team-mates messaging one another about their combined answer(s).)

There's also the question of the final. In the game, contestants are playing for money. The team who makes it to the final gets to choose a category out of a few options, and they win the jackpot if they manage to guess a pointless answer (i.e. one that none of the 100 people asked beforehand said). Since we can't do this, we'd probably have to take the programme's third round (the "Head-to-Head") between the last two teams/people as the final (it's best out of three).

Thoughts? Questions?

* offtopic :
Hopefully there will be a quiz; this is obviously just an idea for now and we could end up with something quite different depending on how people respond and how it goes if we try it.
26 to 50 of 65 comments
page 2 of 3
cutie_13
cutie_13 | 20-01-2014 16:42
Yes! To the finish then?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 20-01-2014 16:45
Yes! Will be a glorious day!
cutie_13
cutie_13 | 20-01-2014 16:46
Good luck man! Lol
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 20-01-2014 16:47
Gee thanks! You too. lol
Joeyy
Joeyy | 12-03-2014 18:19
Now that we have a regular (every other Saturday) quiz, B has suggested the following:

you know, we should have a topic to track pointless quiz wins. if this is something we're going to be doing regularly.. just a topic we can update the rank biweekly whenever a new game is over.

Yes? No? I wouldn't want anyone feeling bad if their name didn't get on the list for a while. It's up to you.
kalsonberry
kalsonberry | 12-03-2014 18:22
Yes!
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 12-03-2014 18:28
Absolutely!
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 12-03-2014 19:12
I'm fine with it.
cutie_13
cutie_13 | 12-03-2014 22:22
I'm good with that.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 12-03-2014 22:34
Okie dokie. (Assuming there are no strong objections) I tried looking for the thread in which the Randomness winners are posted, as an example format I might copy, but I couldn't find it. Anyone?
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 12-03-2014 22:35
Good idea! How about also tallying everyone's pointless answers as well?
Joeyy
Joeyy | 12-03-2014 22:35
Oh yeah, that's a good one (too), Sarah.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 13-03-2014 00:17
(Never mind, found the thread.)

Anyway, I'll create one (probably after this game's finished) and then please feel free to advise on a format change, since I probably won't do it in the most organised way.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 13-03-2014 01:52
Sweet!
Joeyy
Joeyy | 13-03-2014 22:38
A topic has now been made. I'm happy with the look of the winner's post; not sure about the post recording pointless answers - my mind didn't like any of the formats I tried. Suggestions on improvements are welcome. Thanks again to Sarah for the advice.

Also, its name... I couldn't come up with anything that incorporated both posts without it being too long-winded. Again, ideas are welcome.
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 14-03-2014 01:43
Yay.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 24-03-2014 19:39
Two things up for discussion at the moment.

Proposed by B: We have this thread, which currently has more detailed posts about quiz winners and pointless answers scored in quizzes. The suggestion is a leader board of both in separate posts underneath - just a general numbers summary for a simpler look.

Proposed by Joe: If someone wins two or three games in a row, they have to take a one quiz break. I don't think it's likely people would win more than two consecutive quizzes due to the range of subjects, but it could happen.

Yes/no comments and votes, please.
Juliet86
Juliet86 | 24-03-2014 19:42
Yes to Bruna's, no to Joe's.

Like you say, it's not likely, and it would feel like being punished for winning.
indiechick_
indiechick_ | 24-03-2014 21:13
yes to both
Joeyy
Joeyy | 24-03-2014 21:29
Haha. Others?
Captain_Keeta
Captain_Keeta | 24-03-2014 21:30
Yes to both. I got nothing. lol
Joeyy
Joeyy | 05-04-2014 03:53
All right... I've put B's suggestion in. I wasn't sure if it was meant to be a summary or a leader board; currently it's the latter. As for Joe's, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 09-04-2014 02:23
I've realised what I can do to incorporate UK-related rounds in a way where all non-UK contestants have an equal chance (/a chance at actually getting a right answer, haha). I can take a number of different scoring correct answers, pointless answers, and wrong answers, and present them to you in the format of the 'Mythical Beasts' (or whatever it was called) round.

It's possible any UK contestants might have a slight advantage, but probably only when it comes to being aware of the more obvious answers, and no more so than in a round about (for example) American sport.

Hopefully this sounds OK... Feeling pretty pleased with myself, at the same time as daft for not thinking of it sooner.
Cheater138
Cheater138 | 09-04-2014 12:44
Sounds like a good idea, Joey. That gives you more options for rounds, rather than having to eliminate those that might be too difficult for some of us.
Joeyy
Joeyy | 09-04-2014 14:53
Yeah, I'm happy about it, thanks.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: