LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

How do you say "mother" and "father" in Arabic?

Follow 0
Add topic
Search
Melinda
Melinda | 02-02-2004 02:59
My book on Arabic script has a little glossary in the back, but it's no help. It has word like "public official" but not basic words like "friend." (By the way, how do you say that?)

Would anyone tell me how to say "father" and "mother" and "brother" and "sister" in Arabic? My book said "ab" for father in one place and then it also said "ab aba." Which do you use?

Also, how do you call your parents in a friendly way? Like "mama" or "mum" or "mom" instead of "mother."

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
9 comments
Melinda
Melinda | 02-02-2004 03:58
Isn't anyone who speaks Arabic online?
JustxMe
JustxMe | 02-02-2004 06:17
There are a lot of ways to call your parents. I my self call my dad= baba and my mum=mama. But not just like that when i pronounce it i dont stop in one a, i go aaa lol if you understand what i mean. That's a way how people call thier parents in daily life. Some other call thier dad= yuba and thier mum= yuma/omaa

But in books- it's writen as " Aby "=Dad, " Omy "= Mum

Sister= okhty , Brother= akhy
and a friend, guy = sadigy/9adi"9y,girl= sadigaty/9adi"9aty
Melinda
Melinda | 02-02-2004 06:32
Ooh, thank you so much!

That's a lot to choose from. How do you ever decide what to call your parents? jk lol I know there are a lot in English too.
dismissed
dismissed | 02-02-2004 06:43
yeah yeah right!
salaam
salaam | 02-02-2004 16:56
hmmm mother would be umm (Çã) as well.... but it's more literally I think.... and mel u know the numbers like 3, 2, 7, '7, '3, 9, '9, 6, ''9 etc ?
Melinda
Melinda | 03-02-2004 01:15
No, I don't know the numbers.
salaam
salaam | 03-02-2004 13:51
lol ok....
3 is like letter Ain Ú
2 is like letter alif Ç
'3 is like letter ghain Û
7 is like letter Ha Í (the one like spanish jota or hebre chet....)
'7 is like letter kha Î
and 9 is like letter Sad Õ
and '9 is like letter dal Ö
and ''9 is like qaf Þ

hmmm and though there was some for jim/ga .... maybe it was '6.... lol I'm not sure.... and usually all A's without '3' before are alifs... like when you want to write leish nat'arak - áÔ äÇÊÚÑß by using numbers, you should write it as lish nat3arak....like the next a after 3 is pronounced as ain... and 2 is the end of the word is like a full stop...

haha lol sara knows these better
DaRkSiDe
DaRkSiDe | 03-02-2004 13:53
lol I think I just misread this thread, I thought it said mother... nevermine kids...
amandatur
amandatur | 17-12-2021 11:02
Thank you, I also haven't known these words!
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: