LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

For All The Poets Here (long but worth the read)

Follow 0
Add topic
Search
Rass
Rass | 03-12-2003 08:39
Okay, I know this is long and you're all going to go "Oh God I can't read that." But it's worth the read and i'm asking really really super nicely... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE read it? (gets on knees and begs) okay? yay!
--------------------------------------------------------
Alright then. This is an old idea that I was a co-founder of two years ago. But I got older, and so did the other co-founder, and we sort of didn't find the point to it anymore. She moved on and I fell into depression where I didn't give a darn about anything, least of all this. Well, it's been two years and I've moved on, and I've finally decided that I'm going to see about this idea again. Older now, and wiser, and with better connections now. So, with no further ado, here is the idea.

A book of poetry. Written mainly by teenagers, or people who were teenagers when they wrote it. Of course this includes exceptions of people in their "tweens" and pre-teens. (tweens = people in their early-ish twenties. In this case, people who are still "teenagers" inside or haven't become adults.) Of course there's also an exception of older people who have written a poem to inspire or aid a younger teenager. Basically, this is a book of poetry written mainly by teenagers for teenagers.

These poems can encompass anything and everything a teenager can and/or will go through. The point is to get people from all over the world, from all walks of life and faith to join in and put a poem in. There are hardly any rules to the poem. They don't have to fit a form. They don't have to be splendidly worded. They don't have to do anything but be there and have some sort of meaning. In fact, lets throw in short stories as well. If you have a short story (under 6 pages typed in 11 pt Times New Roman) that is by and/or for teenagers then you may submit that as well. But mainly poetry.

This does plan to be published and anyone that contributes will have full credit. I trust everyone here that there won't be any thievery or copy writing and claiming it is your own original work. While I might run some searches on everything I obviously can't check everything for every poem or short story. And as a last note on that, I can't say when this will be published or by who or whatever because I have never had anything published. My older sister knows how to do that, so if we have something worth publishing she can handle the publisher. There is no money to be made from this, you get credit for your work but you will not be paid. You have to understand that before you seriously think about helping me out. No one will get money for it, and my name will not be on the cover page as the author or as the collector, person behind the scenes, person. I will not get money for it. Any money gotten from the publishing of this book would be donated to some cause that would have to be agreed upon or voted on by those participating in it's works.

Honestly, half of the reason this idea was never really grounded was I was actually afraid of the possibility of being sued over something like this. These days you can sue anyone for anything if you sound like you're right. And to avoid that I could ask for everyone to print out a consent form and send it to me via mail, but that would probably get hectic and out of hand and expensive for some of you. In that case, I have to settle for the faith in people and believe you simply want to reach out and help another person through a time you might have faced. I will have to settle for your consent through e-mail, though that is so ungrounded it's hilarious. But it will have to do, and I will have to hope you are simply wanting to reach out and help another, or be heard whichever works for you.

The reason this idea was founded in the first place was my friend and I were talking one day, she was 18 and I was 16, we had "met" on a poetry site and she liked my work. We were talking one day about how adults don't seem to "get" us, how they never want to listen and how they tend to think we're unintelligent because we do stupid things. I said it would be great if we could just take our poetry and drop it in the form of a book in front of them and went "Read and learn what I am and how I feel." She said it would be a great thing, because so many adults don't know how to listen to us, and so many kids are like us but don't know what to do, and so many kids write out their problems but those poems that helped them through never get to help another out. This book would be a show of what it's like to be a teenager these days, and that no one is alone out there. Above that it would show that, though we're teenagers and pretty stupid at times and stereotypically "bad" we still care and we can still be selfless.

I can't guarantee this will get off the ground, because I don't know how many teenagers there are really that are selfless, willing to take a leap and participate, and are brave enough to let others read their work. I can't guarantee that I'll get enough submissions to put together a working book, but if I do, no matter how small of a book it might seem, I will push to get it published if I have to spend the rest of my "young" life doing it.

Finally, a brief run of the rules. There are few but some. Don't post your poetry, send me an e-mail at rassdacoolgurl@hotmail.com . Send your full real name, what you would like to be recognized by, any information you want to place as recognition in the book*, your work, what it should be classified as* *, if there is a deeper meaning and you want it to be understood list that, and finally at the bottom of your e-mail please put "I (your name here) give permission to have the original aforementioned works published." *** If those things aren't followed I can't accept the work. There is no language rule (as in curse words) but language as in English, French, Spanish, it would be nice if everything was in English, as that's what I read. Though there's no rule against cursing or content I would have to ask you nicely to sort of watch what you say, since this is supposed to be age friendly, but if it's something that needs to be there to have the point then by all means, say whatever you need to say man. Other than those and the age rule (that could suck I know) there are really no other rules. I do reserve the right though to turn down anyone's work for any reason.

* Age, race, sex, sexual orientation, faith, whatever you bloody well want as long as it's not inappropriate or enough a stalker can find you with.
** Love, Hate, Frustration, Suicide, Sex, Depression, Drugs, Abuse (any and all kinds), Loneliness, Faith, Other
*** Yes I know it sucks but it's the best I can do as far as permission goes.

I'm asking nicely for some moderator to make this a sticky thread. I would hate to have to keep going and bumping it up. Please and thank you.

* offtopic :
Oh lord how I hope I didn't miss anything.
1 to 25 of 69 comments
page 1 of 3
radiate86
radiate86 | 03-12-2003 21:42
I will read it. Promise! Just not now cause I need to send college applications. lol
SomeCallMeMaxx
SomeCallMeMaxx | 04-12-2003 02:57
dude....long....read!

*1 hour later*

I had something like that at my high school. We called it "The Passageway" but the english teacher dictated what was to be put into it. Coincidently only the popular stuff got in, nothing with swear words, and nothing that picked at harsh issues like suicide or having/lack of sex. Then my friend started "The Blockageway" which was put together by him and his gf. They took donations, which weren't given, and published almost all of the works they got. Some of it was just nonsense but most of what was given to them was put in. The whole thing cost near $600 to finish, which was why when he graduated high school it wasn't continued.

I guess the moral of my story is, I'm glad you're not an English teacher. ^^

Good luck with that book, Rass!

* offtopic :
P.S. I know your real name too hehe
BrandNew88AFI02
BrandNew88AFI02 | 04-12-2003 03:14
rass, thats a really, really, really good idea.

however....

If I enter i dont know if i would want my name in there, i know its probably against it, but if i come up with an uber-cool one i'll give it to you. i'll make it symbolic, and have the meaning. i'll try to bring tears, while still telling the truth. i just think teens need to be heard.

one question, it can be about suicide depression drugs love hate etc.?
Rass
Rass | 04-12-2003 03:17
If I enter i dont know if i would want my name in there

your name doesn't have to be in it, you can be given credit any way you want, or even not be given credit, whatever floats your boat

and it can be about anything, as long as it's not just like and immature poem about how much you like having sex or something
BrandNew88AFI02
BrandNew88AFI02 | 04-12-2003 03:32
lol okay

i dont have anything yet, but i want no credit. i think it would be better if its unknown.

i should have a poem by next week, if not i'm sorry. but i'll try, and im gonna make this one so good, im gonna cry through the whole thing, and maybe make some other people cry.

yes i know i sound a little confident, but all my poems on here have been done in no more than 15 minutes. if i spend a day or two, im sure theyll be better.
volcomgirl355
volcomgirl355 | 04-12-2003 03:38
that sounds like a cool idea....ill try 2 find some of my poems that r saved on the computer 2 send ya!
Rass
Rass | 04-12-2003 03:54
okay alicia, sounds good just remember to send it to the email i listed above
Rass
Rass | 04-12-2003 16:09
(sighs) i knew i was gonna do this eventually, bump
radiate86
radiate86 | 05-12-2003 20:56
I'll definitely do it!!! I just don't know the poem(s) yet...

I might submit one or two I've written, and I'll try to write a new one.

I'm still not sure if I want my name in it. I kinda wanna think of some cool pen name.
hurleysk8r05
hurleysk8r05 | 05-12-2003 21:09
oh. this is such an outstanding idea!

i love writing so this falls right down my alley.

i will try to submit some poems (if i remember. i tend to be forgetful sometimes)

this is excellent.

how exciting!?

well have a wonderful day.
IrishMeg1
IrishMeg1 | 05-12-2003 21:17
wow rass, i think this is a really great idea and i hope it turns out good and a book is made! i know exactly what you are talking bout 'kids going through stuff and not knowing what to do... its pretty sad, but im sure the poetry and short stories can help!! im all up for it! thought im not really a great poet, if i figure out sometthing that i take a great liking in and its helpfull, then ill be sure to send it!! go for it!
Rass
Rass | 06-12-2003 01:51
thanks meg, and the thing is that it doesn't have to be outstanding or tear jerking or anything, you dont have to be an awesome poet, sometimes the simplest poems are the ones that help you through hard times
yinyang_soul
yinyang_soul | 06-12-2003 02:38
god, rass, didnt know you could write something like that so long! wow, well, i have one.....or two.... so i will, and i got another one but.....i made it up based off of a book so it wouldnt really work.......its hard to explain, but it wont, just put it that way....i'll do the email later though, as long as i post here, i'll do it.......and im posting right?
Rass
Rass | 06-12-2003 02:40
lol yes you are, and of course i can write something that long, i can write something WAY longer than that if i wanted to lol
hurleysk8r05
hurleysk8r05 | 06-12-2003 04:06
i think that ^^ is about all we can handle rass.

lol.

have a great day.
XxNirvanaxX
XxNirvanaxX | 06-12-2003 09:28
Awesome idea, rass..I'll try to get a poem to you if I can. Good luck!
loser_kid_71
loser_kid_71 | 06-12-2003 22:09
nice idea rass
Rass
Rass | 06-12-2003 22:10
thanks everyone who's said its a nice and good idea lol, but what i need is participants or "street team" members (for lack of a better term) so i can get the word spread around so people know
aflackoh6
aflackoh6 | 06-12-2003 22:17
I can type up my "Unopened Letter To The World" when I get a chance, but I dont kno how long it'll be by the time I get done, so maybe I'll just give you a poem or two.
Rass
Rass | 06-12-2003 22:31
it would be good to get the poems but if you want to type that up and submit it to the book as well then you can and such, i know i gave a requirement maximume thing but like everything else there are exceptions to the rules, like if it's awesome but 8 pages long then it will probably be accepted
Katka36
Katka36 | 08-12-2003 10:40
huh! *blinks* jesus that was long! but a nice idea. im gonna send you poems if you want to rass.
Rass
Rass | 08-12-2003 10:52
lol it's not if i want to, it's if you want to just understand like that all of that up there is like...blah lol i can't think today
Katka36
Katka36 | 08-12-2003 10:55
never mind i cant either
Rass
Rass | 08-12-2003 10:57
lol okay then it's settled, tonight is not a good night to think (or day or morning or evening whatever it is that floats your boat )
Katka36
Katka36 | 08-12-2003 10:58
this is a rather cold DAY.. its nearly midday here.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: