LetsSingIt the internet lyrics database
en

Beyonce as a role model

Follow 0
Add topic
Search
cairowinters
cairowinters | 30-03-2006 22:16
Beyonce is looked up to by so many young girls (including my ten year old sister). But what kind of role model is she?!

Just look at her latest single (well, the latest one in NZ at least) - Check On It. The lyrics are terrible!

Ladies let him check up on it

??? It's like she's suggesting women act like pretty objects for men to watch and wank over.

I used to admire her talent, now I think she just glorifies the wearing of dead animals and acts like women are just objects for men. I have no respect for her anymore.

Maybe I'm overeacting. She's just having fun and doing her own thing? She never tried/wanted to be a role model?

Well tough she is one now. Why the hell do little girls look up to her anyway (apart from literally, cause I'd say she's taller than them...haha)? Part of the price of her fame should be that she watches the kind of things she's suggests women act like and the kind of things they wear.

It's not just Beyonce either, but basically all those mainstream hip hop, rap, pop, and r&b artists on the music channels.

If 16 year olds like seeing videos with half naked people writhing over each other so they can masterbate to them then fine (though that's still gross and not actually very nice), but the problem is that young children see these videos too and get the same ideas. They think it's GOOD to walk around town half naked!

Maybe I'm still overeacting. People should be able to wear whatever they want whenever they want and I'm being prudish. And if part of my arguement is that they're encouraging pedifiles (sp?) and kids to have sex younger then I should realize that no matter what kids are wearing pedifiles have no right to abuse them and kids will have sex when they want regardless of any influence from the media.

Ha, yeah the pedifile bit is true. But the second bit - yeah right. Of course the media influences things like that. So why are they allowed to get away with it?!

I suppose it's not so much the fashion itself. It's the attitudes and the fact that kids are growing up even faster these days. Twelve year olds acting like they're 18.

It's just not right.

* offtopic :
And if there's another thread like this after I've just typed all this out, then tough! This is my little ranting space for this topic!
20 comments
JewUnit
JewUnit | 30-03-2006 22:18
Beyonce earned her fame.

She is a great singer.. and a she has a great body..

Even before she got exposed to the camera's.
JewUnit
JewUnit | 30-03-2006 22:20
Plus her multi-talent of singing, acting and modelling.
cairowinters
cairowinters | 30-03-2006 22:20
I'm not denying that. But I'm saying that whether or not she wanted it she's a role model for kids now, and so she has some responsibility for the kind of things they learn from her.

Plus I'm saying that it's not just her, but the whole message that the media is portraying to kids these days that's the problem. Why can't kids just be left to be kids?
JewUnit
JewUnit | 30-03-2006 22:21
Sex sells.
cairowinters
cairowinters | 30-03-2006 22:39
Well duh. Of course it does.

Doesn't make it right though.
hobbitgirl
hobbitgirl | 30-03-2006 22:40
Music, or the image connected with it will lead a person into having sex. Sure I disapprove of the clothing choices and lyrics...and yes, hearing your 11 year old sister running around the house singing "my humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps..." is disturbing...but she's not a little whore. Fact of the matter is that the music isnt the sole factor that leads kids to sex. And if it is that affecting, dont you think maybe someone would notice. If you saw your kid or friend suddently dressing like a slut wouldnt you say something....and does the music really force them to do that? You or the parents need to take action if you're worried about an individual, not blame the music. Pointing fingers wont solve a thing. The music doesnt hypnotize people into having sex. People who listen to all types of music have sex young, or dress in a "provacative". It all comes down to morals, maybe the ones you were taught or the ones that you developed yourself. If its not apart of your morals to not have sex until you're older then regardless you probably will.

However, you do have a point about the media desensitizing young people. Sure, its a sad truth...but sex sells...and no amount of protesting will stop advertisers from using that ploy. It's not something I support...but I know theres nothing I can do about it.

So I neither really agree or disagree with you.
cairowinters
cairowinters | 30-03-2006 22:54
It's not so much the music that I'm pointing the finger at, but the videos that go with the music. Kids see girls dressed in next to nothing and dancing in "suggestive" ways and think that's what beautiful is. The majority of music on todays charts suggest that, instead of the fact that confidence in yourself is beautiful etc.

And yes, parents have responsibility in what their kids dress like and act like. But when all the kids are acting in this way (because they all want to fit in and be like each other and the girls on tv) it's harder for them to stop their kid from doing it. Plus parents aren't immune to influence from the media either. They're led to believe that "this is just what kids do/look like these days".

It always makes me laugh reading in magazines all these letters from girls saying they wish the media would portray "real girls" for once. And the editors write little comments agreeing with them 100%. But then they continue putting advertisements featuring models in their magazines. Because that's what sells.

I suppose I'm just a little saddened by it all. It seems kinda pathetic. Like these images are what we're supposed to look like and be like. And we believe that, because we're so brainwashed and so stupid. Why can't people see that real beauty and success comes in the form of being happy and confident with who you are? Not being a stick-thin girl wearing no clothes and dancing around ugly fat men in rap videos.

Which reminds me!!! Why are all the girls in those mainstream rap videos (you know the ones I mean) pretty and skinny and wearing hardly anything. While the guys are fat and ugly and wearing waaay too much material than is necessary?
vandy
vandy | 30-03-2006 22:57
parents need to raise their kids with alternative role models to celebs.

And with Beyonce, at least she weighs more than 98 pounds and has a booty.
hobbitgirl
hobbitgirl | 30-03-2006 23:15
You do have points...my main point was not to support this, but mainly that we cant stop it completly but there are good forces against these problems.

You're right...real beauty comes from the inside... its not something that can be bought or starved into... and yes many many people fail to realize this... and its sad it really is. And it is stupid that some people believe that what they see on tv is real "beauty".

I gave up on magazines years ago... I'm faaaarr from what they would consider "beautiful" and it used to bother me... trust me, Ive been in the place of feeling ugly... it used to be so bad, I didnt want to leave my house because I felt unworthy to be seen in public. So its not like I dont understand... Ive been on the whole skinny diet... but it didnt make me feel any better about my image. You know what did though? When someone who cared about me told me I was beautiful...those words are more powerful than any diet...any amount of stylish clothing...anything. Thats all I believe people need, you know someone to tell them they are alright, just how they are. Beauty that magazines portray dies, real beauty lasts forever.

Those magazines are not about making girls feel better, or atleast in most part... but they need to sell...and the bar has been set so high, not even those models can reach it...pictures are digitally enhanced to fix any flaws. Its sad, but its true. But does reading them make you shallow? No. Just like music doesnt make you have sex. I personally do not watch videos, nor really know much about them. My choice not to agree is my own... and yes it is sad to see people dressed in a whorish way...but its not soley because of the music, mostly it lies in low self-confidence...

I guess my point is that people need support, and that support can overcome it all. That you need to be there, and be their role model. You may not know it, but what you do or say to them directly may have more of an impact than any celeb. I guess I just think that people need to be there for eachother...and maybe if we were a little less judgemental and understand this wouldnt be a problem...because these companies feed off that low self-esteem. If everyone felt fine with themselves there wouldnt be a need for these things...and the only way to stop this, in my opinion, is just to be there, and to tell someone that they are beautiful, even if they arent the standard set by modern shallow society.
cairowinters
cairowinters | 30-03-2006 23:16
But where do you find alternatvie role models/ Especially when kids get a little bit older, parents can't realistically control what kids watch on tv or read in magazines all the time. And when all the other kids in their class are following celebrities parents can't go to school with their kid and shield them from their classmates.

Ha, yeah - that is one thing I still like about Beyonce. She actually looks to be a healthy weight. And she looks better than the others because of it.
cairowinters
cairowinters | 30-03-2006 23:19
...and the only way to stop this, in my opinion, is just to be there, and to tell someone that they are beautiful, even if they arent the standard set by modern shallow society.

Wow, that was a really great post and I do agree with your ideas there. If only everyone did realize that though.
hobbitgirl
hobbitgirl | 30-03-2006 23:22
why thank you
aledv13
aledv13 | 30-03-2006 23:27
eww beyonce.
hell_born
hell_born | 31-03-2006 17:45
.................i would hit it

sorry but it had to be said

and more girls like her would be a good thing!

common guys admit it!
SkAnKyHo4SlIm
SkAnKyHo4SlIm | 05-05-2006 08:02
I agree with you 100%

Yes she has a great voice and yes she has a amazing body...but she is being just like jesice simpson..

Beyonce said shes happy that her "beliefs" and etc havent changed since she was a singer..so was it alright for her to be half naked and grind other dudes on video?? was it what she wanted?? if i was her mother,i would have a chat to her about it.Jessica simpson said that in the begininning she would never go above her stomach in any of her clothes for peformances..

Have you watched "this boots are made for walking"?
i think she tottaly lied about tht
cairowinters
cairowinters | 07-05-2006 03:42
Yeah the worst thing is when they start out saying they'll never do this and never do that. If you can't stick to those promises don't make them in the first place! It just makes people lose respect and trust in you. I'd prefer it if they started out saying "I am who I am and I'll do what I want".
supasweetgirl
supasweetgirl | 31-01-2007 08:19
I adore Beyonce and she's great ! And her songs are great too ! She doesn't do anything more than other pop stars do !

She's my role model in her artistic ways ! She's my superstar in the music business !
BlackRia
BlackRia | 11-06-2007 09:01
I never thought of Beyonce as a role model...she seems for older kids, not younger ones who haven't even reached puberty...!
Like Hilary Duff, for example, she seems like a good role model...well before she was anyway...before she got slutty in her new "dignity" album videos...and she said she was holding her dignity!
NightHobbit
NightHobbit | 11-06-2007 11:07
^ artists always go back on their words for album sales.
Olivia_Ka
Olivia_Ka | 24-10-2014 03:11
She isn't even a model. I prefer her as a singer.
POP OUT SAVE saving ...
Read more: